Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi everyone :-D Since this is my first post please let me know if i am doing something wrong! :up:
So, this short text is taken from an essay i'm preparing about executions around the world and the social effects. :cry:
I know posting essays (also, is the plural of essay essays?) and homeworks is not permitted:roll: but I don't want you to translate it or correct it, I just need an english speaker to proofread it and let me know if i can use it as a part of the essay or if I have to work on it a bit longer.
THANKS! :-D:-D:lol:

Here it is:

"It's well-known that executions in China are kept secret. Amnesty International,however, was forced to rank China using the minimun number they could confirm. Since the government was not a reliable source, Amnesty decided to rely on human rights groups and media sources.
With this data,the researchers found out that thousands of criminals were killed in China last year, while the rest of the world combined stands at 680."

Also I'm not sure how i should translate a word. In italian it stands for "a country that mantains death penalty", is there a word to say that in english? eg: like in "abolitionist countries"

Bye and thanks again :-o:lol::-D:)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi everyone :-D Since this is my first post please let me know if i am doing something wrong! :up:

Well, You don't need an EM there.

So, this short text is taken from an essay i'm preparing about executions around the world and the social effects. :cry:
I know posting essays (also, is the plural of essay essays?) and homeworks is not permitted:roll: but I don't want you to translate it or correct it, I just need an English speaker to proofread it and let me know if i can use it as a part of the essay or if I have to work on it a bit longer.

There is no rule against posting essays. (There are a bunch of them here.) Also, "homework" has no plural.

:hi:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"It's well-known that executions in China are kept secret. Amnesty International, however, was forced to rank China using the minimun number they could confirm. Since the government is not a reliable source, Amnesty decided to rely on human rights groups and media sources.
With this data, the researchers found out that thousands of criminals were killed in China last year, while the rest of the world combined stands at 680."

Also I'm not sure how i should translate a word. In italian it stands for "a country that mantains death penalty", is there a word to say that in English? eg: like in "abolitionist countries"

You can say:

A country with the death penalty.

:)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
EM = exclamation mark

:)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
:?: That's a fairly dodgy abbreviation, as printers (who call an exclamation mark a 'screamer') use the word 'em' [a useful word for players of Scrabble™;-)]

I should know. (There are 88 two-letter words. At least there were last time I checked.)

and EM is an abbreviation for many other things.

b

Well, context should make a difference. And typing EM is easier than typing exclamation mark.

Gwahir

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Status
Not open for further replies.