Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
A) Own note: Buy milk and cake tomorrow.

B) Own notes: Buy milk and cake tomorrow.

Are these sentences above correct?

"Buy milk and cake tomorrow" is a correct imperative. What is not clear is the "Own note" part. Is this a reminder to yourself? Without further context it's difficult to comment.

I don't understand "own note". The reminder is all that is needed.

I wanted to ask if "own note" and "own notes" are correct English?

If a file name or title, I write "own notes"/"own notes"/"This is my own note" , are these correct English?

"Buy milk and cake tomorrow" is a correct imperative. What is not clear is the "Own note" part. Is this a reminder to yourself? Without further context it's difficult to comment.

"Own note" part is a reminder to myself. So I know this sentence is my own stuff.

For example sometimes I am writing notes, I will write "own note" so that I know this sentence is my own note, and not said by the speaker/teacher.

If I am watching a video about cooking a chicken and writing notes, the video teacher said boil the water for 2 minutes and the video shows her stirring the water for 2 seconds. Put in the chicken.

I might write notes something like this:

Cooking a chicken steps:
Boil the water for 2 minutes. Own note: Stir the water, not sure if stirring is needed, teacher stirred the water for 2 seconds.
Put in the chicken.

Last edited:
The most common way of writing this in English is "My note/s", as in "myFiles, My Files, etc." I don't think 'own' is superior in any way to 'my' in this context.

Is it correct to write 'A note for myself'?

Not a teacher.

We sometimes write: "Note to self:"

The most common way of writing this in English is "My note/s", as in "myFiles, My Files, etc." I don't think 'own' is superior in any way to 'my' in this context.

Is "own note", "own folder", "own file" wrong English?

'My' would still be needed if 'own' was used.

Not a teacher.

If the note/folder/file is purely for your own use, who cares?

I want to learn the correct English. It does not matter if it is purely for my own use or not. If everything that was for my own use is written in bad English, I will not learn correct English forever.

Why not just tell me if "own note", "own folder", "own file", "own use" is wrong English or correct English? I am here to learn. I would appreciate an answer.

Nobody has answered my question yet, except Matthew who is not a teacher.

Thanks.

Fair comment.:up:

...'own note', 'own folder', 'own file' and 'own use' are correct enough for your intended purpose.

Take a cue from Microsoft Windows where document files are kept under 'My Documents', and not 'Own Documents'.
You can have 'his own documents', 'their own documents', etc. 'Own Documents' sounds odd to me if it is used as a label.

not a teacher

Take a cue from Microsoft Windows where document files are kept under 'My Documents', and not 'Own Documents'.
I just came across another cue: atop this page, there is 'My profile' but not 'Own profile'.

Not a teacher.

I just came across another cue: atop this page, there is 'My profile' but not 'Own profile'.
Exactly. No one is saying "Own profile" would be wrong. Correctness doesn't enter into it. It's just that we tend to write "My Whatever" for this sort of thing.

I will add my vote to "My" instead of "Own."

My conclusion from all inputs in this thread.

"own note", "own folder", "own file", "own use", "own documents", "own profile"... is correct English.

"my note", "my folder", "my file", "my use", "my documents", "my profile"... is correct English and is more commonly used.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back