Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everyone!

I'm a student from Poland interested in English phonetics and linguistics in general. The time has come for me to write my MA thesis and I decided to focus on Recevied Pronunciation and its status nowadays. My guiding professor advised me to include a survey in my dissertation so I can carry out an interesting study. Unfortunately, there are not enough native speakers in the area where I study, thus I seek help amongst my friends and forums. Before I submit more information I would like to ask some of you here is it even possible for me - a fresh user to post not only my e-mail adress, created for the sole purpose of the study, but also the survey itself which is in PDF and RTF? Most forums forbid such practices which is a problem for me because I have no other options and I would really like some native and also non-native speakers living in the UK to participate in my survey.

Thank you for your time and regards!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You can attach files, depending on their size, but the forum software automatically removes emails. Can't you put the survey online on something like SurveyMonkey and link to it?

Lannister

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello again. Unfortunately, no survey site I've tried allow for as many questions as I've got without requiring me to buy subscription. That is an issue. Would it be possible and not against the forum rules if I attached the survey here and the survey itself would contain contact info? The document would just have an e-mail address written below questions.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If the survey has so many questions that a free survey site won't allow it, it sounds like it's probably too long to expect users here to do it.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You can attach files, but people are generally suspicious of them and tend not to download them. How about Google Docs?

Lannister

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello again! I've uploaded my survey to Google Docs as Tdol suggested. I would be really thankful if you could help me and fill the survey and I'd be even more thankful if some of you could send it to your friends or colleagues so they could participate as well. Thank you for your time.

Link to the "Survey on RP": https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4RnP9RWd7GbRVY0YVZoc0N2dEU/view?usp=sharing

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello again! I've uploaded my survey to Google Docs as Tdol suggested. I would be really thankful if you could help me and fill the survey and I'd be even more thankful if some of you could send it to your friends or colleagues so they could participate as well. Thank you for your time.

Link to the "Survey on RP": https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4RnP9RWd7GbRVY0YVZoc0N2dEU/view?usp=sharing

I'm hoping to learn something here in order to help out. So now I see the electronic equivalent of a piece of paper. But I have no idea how to fill it out.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I managed to open it using the button at the top marked "Open". It opened in Google Docs and it then let me add information to the sheet. However, when I reached the first set of proper questions ("I hear a lot of RP on the radio" etc), it wasn't possible to mark my choice between 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. There is no way to circle a number using this system. It would have been far too labour-intensive to delete the numbers I didn't want to choose on each question. I think you need to find a new format for this survey. Also, I think people will only be able to use the "Open in Google Docs" option if they already have a Google account.

Status
Not open for further replies.