Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Our team welcomes members from different races, be it white, black or yellow.

Our team welcomes members from different races, whether you are white, black or yellow.

Does "whether" and "be it" mean the same thing? Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Neither is natural. For a start, you used "members" so you need to use "they".

Our team welcomes members from all different races, be they ...

However, and it's a big however, this is a very slippery, dangerous slope to be dealing with. For a start, "black", "white" and "yellow" aren't races, they are skin colours. They are not the same thing. Using "yellow" to describe people is really not done these days. In these days of political correctness, you would be much better off using a blanket statement such as "Our team extends a warm welcome to everyone". At most, you could use "Our team welcomes members from all different backgrounds".

yslamac

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Actually I want to know if these expressions can be used interchangeably with my own context. In my perspective, I consider "be it" more formal and of a higher standard than "whether", is it right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please provide a different sentence and context in which you want to see if "be it" and "whether" can be used interchangeably.

yslamac

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
1.Could you explain your ideas to a non-scientist? Be they pupils in secondary school or a politician attending a national exhibition.
2.Could you explain your ideas to a non-scientist? Whether they are pupils in secondary school or a politician attending a national exhibition.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
I am also having problem with using this phrase "be it/they". I actually need someone to clarify it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1.Could you explain your ideas to a non-scientist, be they ​secondary school pupils [STRIKE]in secondary school[/STRIKE] or a politician attending a national exhibition?

2.Could you explain your ideas to a non-scientist, whether they are secondary school pupils [STRIKE]in secondary school[/STRIKE] or a politician attending a national exhibition?

See above.

Status
Not open for further replies.