Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
:oops: I'm writting an Informal letter to a friend telling her that I've just moved to a new neighbourhood so my brother and I had to change school as well , but I'm not sure If the sentence can actually be typed that way.

(Moving to a new neighbourhood made me and my brother change school as well.):?:

(Yesterday It was the first day at my new school so I was really nervous.) I'd like to say that yesterday It was the first day of school but I was extremely nervous because I went to a new school.):?:

Finally I'd like to say that I have to make new friends, meet my new teachers and make a new/brand new/fresh start. (Can I actually say that in English , I mean does this phrase make a sense ? )

Please correct my mistakes and place the punctuations where it is necessary.English is not my native language and I'm sooo confused.

Thank you in advance.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I will make comments by making changes in the text, and I will make additional comments as well.

:oops: I'm writing an Informal letter to a friend telling her that I've just moved to a new neighbourhood so my brother and I had to change schools as well , but I'm not sure If the sentence can actually be typed that way.

(Moving to a new neighbourhood made me and my brother change school as well.):?:

(Yesterday It was the first day at my new school so I was really nervous.) I'd like to say that yesterday It was the first day of school but I was extremely nervous because I went to a new school.):?:

Finally I'd like to say that I have to make new friends, meet my new teachers and make a new/brand new/fresh start. (Can I actually say that in English , I mean does this phrase make [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] sense ? )

Please correct my mistakes and place the punctuations where it is necessary.English is not my native language and I'm so confused.

[STRIKE]Thank you in advance.[/STRIKE]

Try:

We've just moved to a new neighborhood, and we had to change schools. Yesterday was the first day of school, and I was really nervous. I'm going to be meeting a lot of new people, and I will pretty much be making a fresh start.

Please note that you shouldn't space before commas, periods, question marks, etc. Do space afterwards.

Any more questions?
:)

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Thank you so much for replying me. I really appreciate it. Could I ask you something else? Because I've never used those tenses before .Can I say "I'm going to meet a lot of new people" instead of "I'm going to be meeting a lot of new people.
What about "I will pretty much make a fresh start" Can we change the tenses here?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you so much for replying to me. I really appreciate it. Could I ask you something else? Because I've never used those tenses before. Can I say "I'm going to meet a lot of new people" instead of "I'm going to be meeting a lot of new people? What about "I will pretty much be making a fresh start"? Can we change the tenses here?

"I'm going to meet a lot of new people" and "I'm going to be meeting a lot of new people" mean pretty much the same thing. As for changing tenses, I am rather confused about what you mean by that. (If you have any new questions you might want to start a new thread.)
:)

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I meant whether I could say "I will pretty much make a fresh start" instead of "I will pretty much be making a fresh start".
Using Simple Future instead of Future Continuous. :)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I meant whether I could say "I will pretty much make a fresh start" instead of "I will pretty much be making a fresh start".
Using Simple Future instead of Future Continuous. :)

I am hesitant to say anything because I am afraid you will ask me why. However, I suggest future continuous ("I will pretty much be making a fresh start"). Don't ask me to explain why. Just trust me on this one.
;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.