Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What does this line supposed to mean?

This conversation is between the long-lost brother Samuel Drake and his brother Nathan Drake, literally from the PS4 game , 《Uncharted 4 A Thief' End》.

They've been searching for the buried treasure of the famous pirate Henry Avery, and they were almost there, Samuel was very excited, so here it is:

Sam: "Okay...island with monstrous Avery statue is to the right...I'm so excited my ha...my hands are literally shaking."
Nate :"Yeah,I know the feeling."
Sam" Either that, or I just need another cigarette. Maybe a little bit of both."

I know that Sam is so excited that his hands are probably really shaking, and I know he needs a cigarette or something at that moment , but when he says "maybe a little bit of both" ,it beats me.

Bin Duan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Will it be possible that a shaking hand stems from looking for a cigarette, I wonder. I used to be a smoker, not proud of it, but I never feel like that.Maybe that's why I'm confused. Stll, really appreciated.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
He seems to be excited at the thought that he is close to the treasure,

Bin Duan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
He seems to be excited at the thought that he is close to the treasure,
:)I know,I'm happy for them.
I try to record every word they said on my notebook in order to expand my vocabulary. So I don't want to miss eveything they said.:D

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Will it be Is it possible that a shaking hand stems from looking for wanting/needing a cigarette, I wonder? I used to be a smoker no comma here (I'm not proud of it) but I never feel felt like that. space after a full stop Maybe that's why I'm confused. Still, I really appreciated appreciate it.
It depends on how heavy a smoker he is. My grandmother used to smoke 40-60 cigarettes a day. If she went more than about 15 minutes without one, she would start getting withdrawal symptoms, including shaky hands. Even if he's not a heavy smoker, if his body has reached the point where it's craving nicotine, his hands might still start to shake.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Is it possible that a shaking hand stems from looking for a cigarette? I used to be a smoker, not proud of it, but I never feel like that.Maybe that's why I'm confused. Stll, really appreciated.
:)I know,I'm happy for them.
I try to record every word they said on my notebook in order to expand my vocabulary. So I don't want to miss eveything they said.:D
The shaking hand comes from "needing" a cigarette. Also, say: "I record every word they say in my notebook. I don't want to miss anything."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It depends on how heavy a smoker he is. My grandmother used to smoke 40-60 cigarettes a day. If she went more than about 15 minutes without one, she would start getting withdrawal symptoms, including shaky hands. Even if he's not a heavy smoker, if his body has reached the point where it's craving nicotine, his hands might still start to shake.

Another cigarette suggests he has recently had one, so he may well be a heavy smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.