The room was a good size

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

I had a pleasant time at Jamie's place! Her apartment is conveniently located a few minutes away from New York City, which is where I always stay, for the accessibility to all that you could possibly ask for... Jamie was very nice and intelligent. We had really interesting conversations on all sorts of random topics! The room was a good size and it comfortably fit two guests, as I had a friend stay with me the first night. The price is a bargain for it'd be hard to find a place as good as this in the same location. Would definitely stay here again next time.

How's my writing? Only confusing part for me is in bold.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: I had a pleasant time at Victoria's place! Her apartment is conveniently located

This is the second thread with the same title and, it transpires, it wasn't a good title for either. If you're confused by the words in bold, they should have been the words in the title. The title for this could have been, for example, "The room was a good size".

B

B45

Re: I had a pleasant time at Victoria's place! Her apartment is conveniently located

Sorry about that. It was an accident!

B

B45

I had a pleasant time at Jamie's place! Her apartment is conveniently located a few minutes away from New York City, which is where I always stay, for the accessibility to all that you could possibly ask for... Jamie was very nice and intelligent. We had really interesting conversations on all sorts of random topics! The room was a good size and it comfortably fit two guests, as I had a friend stay with me the first night. The price is a bargain for it'd be hard to find a place as good as this in the same location. Would definitely stay here again next time.

I tried to change the title but wasn't able to. Can someone look at my paragraph?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've changed the title of post #1 but it's not possible to change it on the responses. If people click directly on "Reply" under post #1, the response will come up with the new title.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The room is of a good size and comfortably fits two guests.

not a teacher

Weaver67

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
"Someone" is here to help. ;-)
By the way, I think that "anyone" as a pronoun would be better for questions like that. Or is it just another AmE difference?

As for the bit in bold, I don't see why the present simple tense would be preferable, and there is no special need for "of" either.

Not a teacher.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Fit" was fine. It's the past tense of "to fit". It matches the first part of the sentence which starts "It was". I agree that "of" is unnecessary. I wouldn't use "fit" in that context.

The room was a good size and accommodated two people comfortably.

Weaver67

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
"Fit" was fine. It's the past tense of "to fit". It matches the first part of the sentence which starts "It was".
Actually, I knew that, and when I said that I didn't see the reason to use the presenet simpe, I was referring to post #7 by tedmc; perhaps I should have made it clear right on the spot. Anyway, now that a better and more natural version has been proposed, all this doesn't matter much now.

Sorry for being a little offtopic, but I just couldn't "pass by" :
Has "to fit" become common as irregular in BrE too? As far as I know, in BrE both the past simple and past participle of it are "fitted", whereas in AmE both of them are"fit" (except in the passive, where it is still "fitted").

Status
Not open for further replies.