Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,
Could you help me with the following. What is the correct way to agree with the speaker and confirm his/her statement in questions starting with "Do you know/think/etc" if they are followed by a negative information-giving clause?
E.g. Do you think Mary isn't Bob's girlfriend? - No, she's his sister (a). OR Yes, she's his sister (b)
If it were just a question, everything would be easy:
Isn't Mary Bob's girlfriend? - No, she's his sister.
But in "Do you know/think/etc"-questions does the "No"-component refer to the part with "know/think etc" or to the information provided in the clause?
I'm more than a bit perplexed.
Thanks a million for your help!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In all honesty, if someone asked me "Do you think Mary isn't Bob's girlfriend?", I would think it was a strangely worded question. I probably would not reply with anything that started with "yes" or "no". I would reply with "Actually, I think she is" or "I think Susan is Bob's girlfriend".

tyrp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you very much, dear emsr2d2. Could you tell me why you consider the question itself strange? Thanks again.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It would take me a minute to get my head round what it meant. You'd have to give me time to think about it.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Talking about which part the 'yes' or 'no' component of the answer refers to is not useful, because it has to followed by something.
'No' refers to "No, Mary is not Bob's girlfriend. She's his sister."
'Yes' refers to "Yes I do think that Mary is not Bob's girlfriend, because she's his sister."
But the answer is not likely to be just 'Yes' or 'No', so it doesn't matter. The information you want comes after any "Yes/no", which tells nothing by itself.
In strict grammar the "Yes/no" would refer to "Do you think ...?", but it doesn't work that way pragmatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.