I'm putting a picture of a four confederate flags. I say: Four confederate flags eq

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

I'm putting a picture of a four confederate flags. I say:

Four confederate flags equal 52 states. The USA has a flag. It's time to let bygones be bygones. Take down the X.

Is this okay?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't follow what you're trying to say.

What do you mean 'four confederate flags equal 52 states'?

And where is it you're putting this picture? Note you can't say 'a four' anyway, since 'a' is singular.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How many states do you think there are normally? How do you figure 52?

B

B45

One confederate flag has 13 stars, each star represents a state, therefore four flags has 52 stars and equals 52 states. I'm putting it on facebook.

Four confederate flags equal 52 states. The USA already has a flag and only needs one. It's time to let bygones be bygones. Take down the X.

B

B45

50 continental states plus Hawaii and Alaska equals 52 states. Right?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Continental 48 plus Alaska and Hawaii.

Edit: Yeah, sorry, the math doesn't work out for your little saying.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There were not 13 Confederate states, so the 13 stars don't represent 13 states.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes and no. Missouri and Kentucky were accepted as members by the Confederacy, although they didn't formally declare succession.

The Confederacy even redesigned their flag to reflect the extra two a couple of times, ending with the X version.

Technically I guess then it was 11 states and two members.

B

B45

Yes, I don't know what made me think the US had 52 states. The later added Hawaiian Islands(paradise) and Alaska must've been what threw me off.

Answer

A Confederate battle flag distinct from the flag of the Confederacy, the "Stars and Bars," was created following the first major battle of the Civil War, at Bull Run near Manassas, Virginia, in July 1861, because in the heat of battle soldiers and commanders confused the Stars and Bars with the Union army's "Stars and Stripes."
After General Pierre Gustav Toutant Beauregard, commander of the Confederate forces at Manassas, demanded a change, the Virginia army's high command, meeting in the Fairfax Court House in September, agreed to a design that earlier had been proposed for the flag of the Confederacy, but rejected in favor of the Stars and Bars. The new battle flag, a perfect square of red with a diagonal St. Andrew's cross of blue punctuated with white or gold stars, was produced by women in Richmond and first issued to soldiers by the end of October. The number of stars, representing the number of seceding states, increased to 13 after Missouri was admitted into the Confederacy on November 28, 1861 and a Kentucky secessionist provisional government that had formed on November 18 was voted into the Confederacy on December 10.
Despite the fact that a pro-Union government replaced the secessionists in Missouri and the Kentucky government voted to end their status of neutrality and stay in the Union, the 13 stars remained on most Confederate battle flags throughout the war, although flags with 12 stars also were produced. Beauregard attempted to standardize the battle flag throughout the Confederacy, but individual units resisted, insisting on retaining their own distinct designs.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes and no. Missouri and Kentucky were accepted as members by the Confederacy, although they didn't formally declare succession.

The Confederacy even redesigned their flag to reflect the extra two a couple of times, ending with the X version.

Technically I guess then it was 11 states and two members.

I glanced at the main Wikipedia article and it only listed 7 states! I guess that's the initial count.

B

B45

But didn't you guys study American history and the Civil war in middle school and high school in the US?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'll confess I had to look it up as well. I also didn't realize there was a difference between the Confederate state flag and the battle-flag (what people normally thing of when they refer to a Confederate flag).

Batman - yes, but that was a loooong time ago. :shock: Some of that stuff you tend to forget when it's not something that you constantly use.

I also had to memorize the Gettysburg Address for an oral recitation in class, and for some reason, I still remember about the first 3/4 of it. Probably all the Confederacy details were over-written by that sucker....

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But didn't you guys study American history and the Civil war in middle school and high school in the US?

Just enough to know that 13 sounded like way too many Confederate states to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.