Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi;

Again, I'm translating The Beaux Stratagem from Farquhar. It's written in an old English. Sometimes I have difficulty about translating this play. So, I want to ask you, what is "my valour is downright Swiss."

This is the some part of th conversation has it:

"And if you go to that, how can you, after what is passed, have the confidence to deny me? Was not this blood shed in your defence, and my life exposed for your protection? Look 'ee, madam, I 'm none of your romantic fools, that fight giants and monsters for nothing; my valour is downright Swiss; I'm a soldier of fortune, and must be paid."

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It seems to me that the speaker associates a particular kind of bravery (valour) with the Swiss and he is saying that his bravery is of that type. I'm not aware of any particular type of bravery associated with the Swiss these days but maybe things were different in the 18th century.

Note that you have missed the apostrophe from the title. It's "The Beaux' Stratagem".

Mrfatso

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Not A Teacher

I think the writer is referring to the long history of Swiss soldiers acting as mercenaries through long periods of European history. Their soldiers fought for many nations including France, Spain and Britain, provided their fees were paid.
More on this subject apcan be found on this Wikipedia link.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_mercenaries

The person making the statement in The Beaux' Stratagem expects to paid for the actions that he has taken to protect the other person.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
My main degree was in History, and I agree, it is as Mrfatso has said. He is brave, but only for a price. He is mercenary in both senses of the word.

laviniaque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
It seems to me that the speaker associates a particular kind of bravery (valour) with the Swiss and he is saying that his bravery is of that type. I'm not aware of any particular type of bravery associated with the Swiss these days but maybe things were different in the 18th century.

Note that you have missed the apostrophe from the title. It's "The Beaux' Stratagem".

Oh, yes, I missed the apostrophe but why it's used; I couldn't find in dictionaries.

laviniaque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
My main degree was in History, and I agree, it is as Mrfatso has said. He is brave, but only for a price. He is mercenary in both senses of the word.

Thank you. :)

laviniaque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I didn't know about the Swiss mercenaries, thank you for the enlightenment.

laviniaque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I didn't understand this clause as well: "Plead for my easy yielding" and "in the fort before."
Does she mean; "it will be easy to defend you, because of your last action"?

Full sentence is: "Well, well, my lord, you have conquered; your late
generous action will, I hope, plead for my easy
yielding;
though I must own, your lordship had a
friend in the fort before."

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
I think it relates to the fact that the two characters are to be married.

To me it means:

"Well, well, my lord, you have conquered;" = "Well, well, my lord, you have won my heart;"
"your late generous action will, I hope," = "What you you did to win my heart will, I hope,"
"plead for my easy yielding;" = "put forward a case for my heart to give way to your love"
"though I must own," = "though I must admit,"
"that your lordship had a friend in the fort before." = "that I had feelings for your lordship in my heart before."

I think it is saying that, her heart is a metaphor for a fortress. That it is being besieged by his love, and has to give way at last.

Hence using the military terms like, "conquered" and possibly, "action" as in "military action".

The military terminology continues with "plead for my easy yielding", bringing to mind a besieged castle where those outside hope that the people will give up quickly, and the castle will be stormed easily.

She is continuing the siege theme with, "that your lordship had a friend in the fort before.":
Here the implication is that she had feelings for him in her heart before. She is making the comparison to a siege where a traitor within the fort or castle opens the doors to the enemy outside to let them in. The "friend in the fort" = "feelings in her heart", which is quite clever, because in the case of love and her heart being won, "the friend in the fort" is a friend, but in the absolute literal meaning in the military sense, "the friend in the fort " implies an enemy or traitor who lets the enemy in to win the castle".

Does this work in the context of what you have read before that section of the play?

Others may have different thoughts on to how to interpret this, but hopefully the above will give you a few ideas.

Last edited:

laviniaque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Yes, yes, it does absolutely work. Thank you very much. It's very helpful.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Oh, yes, I missed the apostrophe but why is it used? I couldn't find in dictionaries.
Beaux is the plural of Beau.The apostrophe indicates the possessive: the strategem of the Beaux.

Thank you. :)

I didn't know about the Swiss mercenaries. Thank you for the enlightenment.
You don't need to write a new post to acknowledge every reply or to quote our replies back to us. Just click 'Post Thanks'.

In future, please start a new thread for unrelated questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.