Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
The Kingdom is in a festive mood, preparing for the royal wedding of Rapunzel and Eugene Fitzherbert's. But Pascal and Maximus lose the wedding rings, a frenzied search to recovery mission gets underway.

Is this good to go? Any grammar mistakes in them?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The Kingdom is in a festive mood, preparing for the royal wedding of Rapunzel and Eugene Fitzherbert('s). But Pascal and Maximus lose the wedding rings; a frenzied search to recovery mission gets underway.

No apostrophe 's' and a semi-colon instead of a comma.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The Kingdom is in a festive mood, preparing for the royal wedding of Rapunzel and Eugene. [STRIKE]Fitzherbert[/STRIKE][STRIKE]'s[/STRIKE]. But Pascal and Maximus lose the wedding rings and a frenzied search [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] and recovery mission gets underway.

Is this good to go? Any grammar mistakes in them?

See above for my suggested changes. When we use "the wedding of", we simply follow it with the two people's names. There is no need for the possessive at the end and, in fact, there is no need to use the surname of one party (especially if you're not going to use the surname of the other party). Say either "the wedding of Rapunzel and Eugene" or "the wedding of "Rapunzel + surname and Eugene Fitzherbert".

Your second half was a comma splice so I removed the comma and replaced it with "and". You could also put "so" there instead showing cause and effect. I have also changed "search to recovery" to "search and recovery". I'm not sure that's all necessary. You could just say "a frenzied search gets underway".

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
But Pascal and Maximus lose the wedding rings, and a frenzied search to recovery mission gets underway.
I agree with emsr2d2's comment about the names.

Gaya87

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
See above for my suggested changes. When we use "the wedding of", we simply follow it with the two people's names. There is no need for the possessive at the end and, in fact, there is no need to use the surname of one party (especially if you're not going to use the surname of the other party). Say either "the wedding of Rapunzel and Eugene" or "the wedding of "Rapunzel + surname and Eugene Fitzherbert".

Your second half was a comma splice so I removed the comma and replaced it with "and". You could also put "so" there instead showing cause and effect. I have also changed "search to recovery" to "search and recovery". I'm not sure that's all necessary. You could just say "a frenzied search gets underway".

Thanks for the feedback emsr2d2. I will take note and apply in the future. I thought it’s her full name. I didn’t know the name come with surname. It’s just that I’m not used to it with the English name. So, I always get stuck there. Looks like I need to do more research on this I guess. Ok, I’ll be more careful next time. Thank you for pointing out my mistakes to me.

I would go for this since I feel awkward to use “and” twice in a sentence. When it replaced with “to” it sounds good to me when I read it.

But Pascal and Maximus lose the wedding rings, and a frenzied search to recovery mission gets underway

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It is normally called "search [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] and recovery mission" as ems pointed out.
There is no comma after "rings".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am having difficulty following which use of rings is being referred to. Did you mean the original version or the revised version?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks. I would use the comma also.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think the difference (with a pause after "rings") is minimal.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe so, but the comma is grammatical.

Gaya87

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
Maybe so, but the comma is grammatical.

According to the grammatical, yes correct. It should be a comma after ring. But Asian, we do not practice this.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
According to the grammatical, yes correct. It should be a comma after ring. But Asian, we do not practice this.

So, what should we do about that?

Gaya87

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
So, what should we do about that?

Definitely I would say we should follow the proper grammar usage and follow the rules of Standard English. Asian generally follow the British English and this is what we have learned in Schools as well. Here we’re not advised to use American English for any write-up, I have no idea “WHY”?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This comma is used by both AmE and BrE.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
But Pascal and Maximus lose the wedding rings and a frenzied search and recovery mission gets underway.

The second event follows quickly from the first and the first clause is short enough not to require a comma.

But then again, writing is an art, not an exact science.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.