Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Colombia
Current Location
Germany
Hi everyone,

I am confused about something and I would love your help.

As I understand it, a prepositional verb is one that you CANNOT separate (so "look after the baby", not "look the baby after")

And a phrasal verb you can separate.

But what about "accuse of"? I have a list here and it says it is a prepositional verb. But it can be separated? For example, "I accused him or lying" or "they accused the governments around the world of deceit". Is there a difference between "to accuse of" and "to accuse somebody of"?

Many thanks in advance!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Where did you get this definition from? Phrasal verbs can be separable or inseparable. What they have in common is an idiomatic meaning that differs from the meaning of the individual words, like look after = take care.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, sog3000.

Some phrasal verbs are separable and some are not. Click here for more information, and see the Similar Threads below.

sog3000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Colombia
Current Location
Germany
Where did you get this definition from? Phrasal verbs can be separable or inseparable. What they have in common is an idiomatic meaning that differs from the meaning of the individual words, like look after = take care.

Thanks a lot for replying! :)

I got the definition from here: https://www.englishclub.com/grammar/verbs-phrasal-verbs_1.htm Which differentiates between "prepositional verbs" and "phrasal verbs", and says that prepositional verbs cannot be separated.

Could someone explain to me what the difference between a phrasal verb and a prepositional verb is? Are they used differently? And how can I tell the difference between the two?

In my English class we seem to be learning about them separately. We dedicate some time to prepositional verbs, and some to phrasal verbs.

Thank you in advance!

sog3000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Colombia
Current Location
Germany
[

Is it perhaps that with prepositional verbs, the meaning of the original verb doesn't change drastically, whereas it does with phrasal verbs??

(But I am still confused about how I can distinguish between a phrasal and a prepositional verb)

Thanks again for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I learned that "prepositional verbs" are a subset of "phrasal verbs". As such they must also be idioms, not just any verb followed by a preposition.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type