Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hello guys,
Is that OK to use quotation mark and sarcastic word in my academic essay? ("change" - as in the paragraph below"
I have to write an essay responding to the question "Do you agree or disagree with the following statement "Actions speak louder then word" - give your specific example and reason"

I plan to write my introduction like this
"We all love to talk about our goals and how we will archieve them in the future. I have once declared my goal of changing the world. But how many of us have actually take steps to reach closer to our goal; how many of us have "changed" the world most pressing concern such as hunger, poverty and pollution. As there goes a saying "Actions speak louder than words", I now strongly believed that our voice will be heard rather clearer by our actions not by our voice. A commitment and results will worth a hundre words.

Please leave as many comment and critic as possible. Thank you so much

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi thminh88,
Some comments about your introduction:

- It's important be direct right from the start of an essay. Do not go around the topic, as that only confuses the reader as to what you're going to talk about. Your first sentence in the essay should introduce the topic to the reader.

- The second sentence (or two) can elaborate on the opening sentence to give more background about the topic.

- Pay attention to your spelling. The spell checker should alert you to such mistakes as "hundre"

- Avoid making up complicated sentences such as this:
"I now strongly believed that our voice will be heard rather clearer by our actions not by our voice."
You can just say "I strongly believe that actions are more important and fruitful than mere words."

- Finally, yes it's OK to use quoted words in formal essays to indicate that the text is being used for a non-standard meaning.

thminh88

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thank you Teechar.
I think i would revise my introduction like this.

"Some people love to talk about how they will achieve their goals. However, other thinks that deed is considered to be more important and fruitful than vain promises. In my opinion, I totally agree with the latter view because actions will show commitment and results."

Please give me your opinion. Thank you

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Some people love to talk about how they will achieve their goals. [STRIKE]However[/STRIKE] On the other hand, others thinks that deeds [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] are [STRIKE]considered to be[/STRIKE] more important and fruitful than (mere words and) vain promises. In my opinion, I totally agree with the latter view because actions [STRIKE]will show[/STRIKE] demonstrate commitment and achieve (actual) results."

See above.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thminh88, in your other thread, you made it clear that this is an essay assignment which will be submitted for grading but has not yet been submitted. On that basis, we cannot offer you any help. You must submit your own work for grading.

You can come back to us for help after your essay has been marked, particularly if there are any comments from your teacher that you don't understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.