Interested in Language
Native Language
Azerbaijani
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Armenia
hi,

There are four pieces of candy on the table (the same kind).

Which one is correct?

1. Where is the candy?

2. Where are the candies?

or there are three boxes of juice on the table.
What would be the question with where? Does 'where is the juice' work?

J

J&K Tutoring

Candy is sometimes countable. To use a few brand names, I consider small candies eaten by the handful, such as M&Ms or Skittles as candy. Larger pieces, individually wrapped and eaten one by one, are candies.

I usually talk about candy as in your example #1: Where is the candy? You give a bit of a problem in that you mention there are only a few pieces, and we might refer to that small number (easily countable) as candies, but since we are asking where they are (we can't see them and presumably we don't know how many there are), we would still say candy.

Yes, 'Where is the juice?' is fine.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Note that in BrE, 'candy' is very rarely used. The only uses I can think of are 'candy floss' (AmE 'cotton candy'), 'cough candy' (a medicated sucking confection) and 'candy-striped material', though most of us are familiar with 'candy canes' as Christmas decorations through American films and TV shows.

We call these individally-wrapped things 'sweets' or 'toffees', unless we want to be more specific and call them 'mints', 'fruit drops', 'humbugs', 'spearmint chews' etc.

images

'Where is the juice?' is fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.