Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
My parents, hosed me down with criticisms that I did not see the likes of until then, but to my utter disbelief my uncle brushed them aside! Instead, this self-proclaimed martyr started showering me with exaltation and salutations. Such resilience and artfulness this man possessed!

Any errors?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
My parents [STRIKE] , [/STRIKE] hosed me down with criticisms that I [STRIKE]did[/STRIKE] had not seen the likes of until then, [STRIKE]but[/STRIKE] to my utter disbelief, my uncle brushed them aside! Instead, this self-proclaimed martyr started showering me with exaltation and salutations. Such resilience and artfulness this man possessed!

Any errors?
It's easy to brush aside criticisms if they aren't of you!
It's now grammatical, but the latter half doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe you had to have been there.

Don't put a comma between the subject and the verb. Do put a comma at the end of an interpolated phrase that you have started with a comma.

Last edited:

kuben123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
My parents hosed me down with criticisms that I had not seen the likes of until then, to my utter disbelief my uncle brushed them aside! Instead, this self-proclaimed martyr started showering me with exaltation and salutations. Such resilience and artfulness this man possessed!

Better ?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Sorry, I should't have crossed out the "but". Put it back in.
You need a comma after "disbelief", as I have both illustrated and explained.

It would read better if it wasn't in bold.

kuben123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
My parents hosed me down with criticisms that I had not seen the likes of until then, but to my utter disbelief, my uncle brushed them aside! Instead, this self-proclaimed martyr started showering me with exaltation and salutations. Such resilience and artfulness this man possessed!

OK?

kuben123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
My parents hosed me down with criticisms that I had not seen the likes of until then, but to my utter disbelief, my uncle brushed them aside! Instead, this self-proclaimed martyr showered me with exaltation and salutations. Such resilience and artfulness this man possessed!

My parents hosed me down with criticisms that I had not seen the likes of until then, but to my utter disbelief, my uncle brushed them aside! Instead, this self-proclaimed martyr started showering me with exaltation and salutations. Such resilience and artfulness this man possessed!

Which is better?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I see no real difference.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Any errors?

It's not an error to use a lot of exclamation marks, but many don't like them- the writing should lead us to feel that way without the need for lots of them. They don't really add much, especially when used frequently. They're fine on billboards, but in prose are better used occasionally for genuine effect. To me, they're the punctuation equivalent of writing in capital letters.

Status
Not open for further replies.