We were up two games to one when I went down.

Talagrim

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Someone is saying it about his favourite baseball team:

"We were up two games to one when I went down."

It doesn't matter what "went down" in this context means. Only the first part matters. I can find this expression online, but the definition is nowhere to be found.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Someone is saying says it the following about his favourite baseball team:

"We were up two games to one when I went down."

It doesn't matter what "went down" in this context means. Only the first part matters. I can find this expression online, but the definition is nowhere to be found.
It matters to the reader/listener, and it should matter to you because you need to know if you're creating a grammatical sentence. The phrasal verb "go down" has several meanings. Are you sure you can't find a single listing anywhere online for that very common phrasal verb?

Talagrim

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It matters to the reader/listener, and it should matter to you because you need to know if you're creating a grammatical sentence. The phrasal verb "go down" has several meanings. Are you sure you can't find a single listing anywhere online for that very common phrasal verb?
Not in this meaning I don't

Talagrim

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
"go down" means that his plane was hit

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Three games had been played in some sort of series. Best-of-5 or best-of-7, likely.

They had won 2. The other team had won one. They were up 2 to 1.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not in this meaning I don't I haven't found a definition that fits this context.
This forum has a fantastic phrasal verbs section. HERE's the entry for "go down". As you can see, there are lots of definitions. Can you see one that means what you want it to? We don't know which usage you intended because you haven't given us an explanation of what actually happened. Did you write the original sentence yourself?

In case you can't see the link above, click here:

https://www.usingenglish.com/reference/phrasal-verbs/go.html#Go-down

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't think Talagrim is asking about the phrasal verb 'go down'. I think they made it clear they were not asking about that. I presume the question relates to what We were up two games to one means.

First of all, it's not an expression, so you won't find it in any dictionary. As SoothingDave has already said, it means that the score was 2-1, where the team associated with 'we' were the team in the lead and that there were still more games to be played in the future. The word 'up' is equivalent to 'leading by'.

Talagrim

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I don't think Talagrim is asking about the phrasal verb 'go down'. I think they made it clear they were not asking about that. I presume the question relates to what We were up two games to one means.

First of all, it's not an expression, so you won't find it in any dictionary. As SoothingDave has already said, it means that the score was 2-1, where the team associated with 'we' were the team in the lead and that there were still more games to be played in the future. The word 'up' is equivalent to 'leading by'.
Yes, thanks a lot. I have already figured it out on my own, though I appreciate the confirmation.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq