Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I thought although 'don't you' is a negative form, it means almost same as positive one.

For example, when someone says, "don't you see?" or "don't you remember?", then I can assume they are saying "do you see" or "do you remember".

Because I'm not native, sometimes I find it difficult to understand 'don't ~' form, so I usually interpret 'don't' as 'do'.

But still I'm not sure of the followings..
--
Honest baby, I'll do anything you want to
So can we finish what we started
Don't you leave me brokenhearted tonight
--
'Brokenhearted' by Karmin.

--
Baby, don't you leave me
Baby, don't you leave me
Don't you break my heart
--
"Baby, Don't You Leave Me" Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston

What does 'don't you' mean? Can you please explain about it?
Thank you very much!!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It means "do not".

J

J&K Tutoring

I have found that negative questions can be very confusing for native Asian-language speakers. You want to agree with the speaker, but English speakers agree/disagree according to the facts.

Let's say you are 17 years old, and I say:

1. 'You're 17, aren't you?' You say, "Yes, I am." (I want to confirm a correct positive.) You agree.

2. 'You're 16, aren't you?' You say, "No, I'm not." (I want to confirm an incorrect positive); you correct me.

3. 'You're not 17, are you?' You say, "Yes, I am." (I want to confirm an incorrect negative); you correct me.

4. 'You're not 16, are you?' (I want to confirm a correct negative.) You want to say, "Yes", as in 'Yes, you're right'. But the correct response is: "No, I'm not." The fact is that you are not 16, and you should respond accordingly, speaking in parallel with my correct statement.

Your examples are not quite the same:

"don't you see?" or "don't you remember?" are tag questions to confirm a belief that you do see or you do remember.

"Don't you leave me" is a request to not leave me, even though it's in the form of a demand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.