Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Hello, I read somewhere that we can use present perfect progressive for an activity that is finished, if so, whats the difference between the present perfect simple and the present perfect progressive - if both of them can be used for finished activity?
1. In other words. How can we know if to choose to write with present perfect simple or " " progressive if we want to express a finished action?
2. My back hurts. I have been lifting heavy furniture all day - Can we conclude that he is still doing it now? ("the lifting") - because it is the main feature(unfinished action) of the present perfect progressive. Or like I have said - Can't we deprive that the action is finished - Because sometimes we may use the present perfect progressive for finished actions.
Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"My back hurts. I have been lifting heavy furniture all day." From this we can't tell for certain whether the heavy lifting is finished or not. This sentence would not work with the present perfect.

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
This is an exercise from a grammar book(English Grammar in use). Is it possible to write 'finished actions' with the present perfect progressive? If yes, what are the conditions for using "PPP" with finished actions?
Another sentence in this book: 'Martin is feeling stressed. He (work) very hard- you need to choose if to write 'work' with the present perfect progressive or simple - I have to say - I am doing the exercises for improving my English.- Its not a task that someone(like professor or teacher) asked me to do.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The present perfect progressive can be used for actions that have finished that leave evidence now (Someone has been smoking here- no one is smoking but the rooms smells) and to emphasise an action (I have been working like mad all day- I am no longer working but want you to know how hard today has been).

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Thanks. What is the difference between 'Someone has smoked here' and 'Someone has been smoking here'.
And what is the difference between 'Have worked' and 'have been working'.
By understanding the difference I can understand it better.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks. What is the difference between 'Someone has smoked here' and 'Someone has been smoking here'.
And what is the difference between 'Have worked' and 'have been working'.
By understanding the difference I can understand it better.

'Someone has smoked here' means that smoking has taken place here. It could have been five minutes or five years ago.

'Someone has been smoking here' means there's evidence of recent smoking here.

How about a couple of examples for "worked" versus "working":

I have worked here for eleven years. (I took a job here eleven years ago and continue to work here now.)

I have been working on this project for two weeks. (I began to work on the project two weeks ago and continue to work on it.)

Bonus tense: I worked at ABC Co. for ten years. (I took a job at ABC Co. some time in the past. I continued to work there for ten years, then left the job.)

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Just want to make sure I understand:

Every action of the Present perfect progressive should be 'recently'?
I understand that PPP can be used for : leave evidence now and to emphasise an action.Both uses(leave evidence and to emphasise) should be recently?

I have been working for 20 years, Does it make sense? or need to be used with the present perfect simple?

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"I have been working for 20 years" is fine.

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
So, Can we use PPG(progressive) with time which is not recently?
Because this example above makes me to hesitate - 'Someone has been smoking here' means there's evidence of recent smoking here.

Or Can we use both(recently and a long time ago)?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
If you say "I have been working for 20 years" it is up to the present moment. "I worked for 20 years" has the same meaning as a stand alone sentence. If you want to put it in the past, say "I worked for 20 years".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

To me, it is the difference between stained walls (present perfect) and smelly air (present perfect progressive). The first is less likely as a sentence, and is more likely to be an expression of the fact that many people have smoked there, which is why the paint has turned yellow.

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
How do you see these?
I've been cleaning my car
I've cleaned my car

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think the cleaning has finished in the second but possibly not in the first.

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Why? I have a result, we are focusing on results, not actions - the car is cleaned now - this is what important, isn't it?
How do you know if to use the present simple perfect or the present perfect progressive for completed actions?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I have cleaned my car, and, as a result, the car is clean now. That's a completed action.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It is, and I have been cleaning my car suggests a serious effort to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.