Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Re: The verbs live work study and teach

I think a lot depends on the point of view of the speaker, I would say that I have been working somewhere for two years if I didn't think it was a lifetime job. I'd use the simple form if I saw the job as more permanent.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

How many verbs are there in English that can be used either in present perfect or present perfect continuous without any difference in meaning?
You would do better to learn the various uses of those tenses than to try and compile such a list of verbs.

This was written by a native speaker.
Where? Can you provide a link/the source?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

You would do better to learn the various uses of those tenses than to try and compile such a list of verbs.

Where? Can you provide a link/the source?
I think it's from UE but I don't remember who wrote it. I copied it into my notes.

A: "I have been learning/studying English for two months." (I am still studying).
B: "I have learnt/studied English for two months." (I am still studying)

"The present perfect in B simply expresses that at some point in your life, you spent two years (consecutively or in total) studying English.

I think you're missing the point that the continuous and the present perfect only indicate the same thing when used with some verbs. "Study" is one of the verbs that they don't mean the same for."

Only one part isn't clear to me. I have seen articles where "study" is included in the list of the verbs which can be used in either present perfect or continuous without any difference in meaning.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

I have found the original thread in which you asked the same thing, and so have merged the two threads.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

I have found the original thread in which you asked the same thing, and so have merged the two threads.

Thanks. But I have read other articles too in which it was mentioned that sometimes there is no difference in meaning especially with these verbs: "study", "live", "work." That's why I don't understand this opinion:
"I think you're missing the point that the continuous and the present perfect only indicate the same thing when used with some verbs. "Study" is one of the verbs that they don't mean the same for."

Again from my notes, from UE or another forum. "If the person is still teaching English" either "she has taught English for five years" or "she has taught English for five years" works."

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

Focus on the broader context, not on the actual verb.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

Focus on the broader context, not on the actual verb.

I have edited post #46. I agree with you, but I need to know if I am using the verb correctly.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

Which verb? Give us the sentence(s) you have in mind.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

Which verb? Give us the sentence(s) you have in mind.

This is written by a native speaker: "Study" is one of the verbs that they don't mean the same for."

This is the sentence: "I have been studying/I have studied English for two years." "I have taught/I have been teaching English for two years" either present perfect or continuous is correct in them if the person is still teaching/learning." The last explanation is also written by a native speaker but by another one.

That's why I don't understand this part: Study" is one of the verbs that they don't mean the same for."

"I think you're missing the point that the continuous and the present perfect only indicate the same thing when used with some verbs. "Study" is one of the verbs that they don't mean the same for." Again the opinion of the first native speaker.

They are different opinions.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

This is the rule: "Study" is one of the verbs that they don't mean the same for."
Not necessarily.
I've been studying English for two years, but I've had enough. I'm giving it up.
I've studied English for two years, but I've had enough. I'm giving it up.

Those mean pretty much the same.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

Not necessarily.
I've been studying English for two years, but I've had enough. I'm giving it up.

That's what I have studied before and didn't understand that explanation.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

Not necessarily.

That's why if there are other verbs too, knowing them would be helpful. "Live", "work", "study" and "teach" they mean the same with present perfect and present perfect continuous. Perhaps there are other verbs too?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

I believe that there is (almost) always a difference in meaning, however slight, if different forms are used. To me, the progressive form puts emphasis on the duration of the study, something the non-progressive form doesn't. In this particular situation, this difference is has little practical significance. I can live with teechar's "Those mean pretty much the same".

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

That's why if there are other verbs too, knowing them would be helpful.
Now, I think it's you who's missing the point. It's not about the verb as such, but about the context.

"Live", "work", "study" and "teach" [STRIKE]they[/STRIKE] mean the same [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] in the present perfect simple and present perfect continuous. Perhaps there are other verbs too?
See above.

Status
Not open for further replies.