Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Australia
I read in a blog post the term 'grub food'. One of the definition for 'grub' on urban dictionary is as a descriptor for delightfully tasty food, which I believe to apply in this context. Is this correct? If not, what does it mean?

This is the link for the blog post: http://danielfooddiary.com/2016/01/17/chickenwaffles/

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
The term "grub food" does not exist in any variety of English that I am familiar with.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE English, "grub" is sometimes used as a substitute for "food". Let's get some grub.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We don't have "grub food" either.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Daniel Ang coined the phrase for his blog/diary. You're not likely to find it anywhere else.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
He's Singaporean, so it may be used in that variant. I have never heard it in British English.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE, while 'grub' can be used as a synonym for 'food', it (to me anyway) has connotations of plain or simple food, possibly even sub-par. You can live on grub, but it's not fine dining.

Another similar synonym is 'chow', with even maybe even stronger connotations of inferior quality or mass-production. You stereotypically get grub and chow in college cafeterias, military mess halls, etc. Grub and chow are more about quantity, not quality.

I find it amusing that chicken and waffles are that widely available in Singapore.

Jgold

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Australia
Thanks y'all ;) Hey don't mock the chicken waffles. Just admit it, they sound good, don't they?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In AmE, while 'grub' can be used as a synonym for 'food', it (to me anyway) has connotations of plain or simple food, possibly even sub-par. You can live on grub, but it's not fine dining.

It is the same in BrE.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thanks y'all ;) Hey don't mock the chicken waffles. Just admit it, they sound good, don't they?

They could easily hit the spot. I will look out for them next time I am in Singapore. ;-)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

This is another peculiar formation. They are known as "chicken and waffles" where they are served in the US. "Chicken waffles" sounds like a waffle that is flavored like chicken.

Status
Not open for further replies.