Choice between simple present tense and past tense when referring to past events

Status
Not open for further replies.

guzhao67

Member Type
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
China
Hi there, how are you today? I have a question about the usage of English tense. Could you explain the use of tense in the following paragraph? (bold italic added)
"In the 16th c. there are some traces of a perception that the word might have an extended application to other languages. But it was not before the 17 th c. that it became so completely a generic term that there was any need to speak explicitly of 'Latin grammar'."
My question is: why does the first sentence use "are" while the others use Simple Past Tense when they both refer to past events? thank you!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Please cite the source of that text.

guzhao67

Member Type
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
China
Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Assuming it's not a typo, it would be like saying, "We can see (that in the 16th century) there are some traces ... etc." Because the analysis (we see) is done now, the present tense is used. That's the only possible explanation I can think of.

I don't think it's good English, and I would much prefer the past simple instead.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the writer has implied a few omitted words: "In the record of 16th c. writings there are some traces...."

Status
Not open for further replies.