Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Our car was collided with other cars on the street.

I understand we can't use 'was' before 'collided"? Why?

Collided is not an intransitive verb. Am I right?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You keep asking this question, so obviously the responses you've been getting about transitive/intransitive verbs and active/passive sentences aren't helping. I suggest you try to look at it another way.
Your car collided with other cars. Why do you want to put 'was' before 'collided'?
There must be some reason you want to take a good sentence, and make it into a bad one.

suniljain

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You keep asking this question, so obviously the responses you've been getting about transitive/intransitive verbs and active/passive sentences aren't helping. I suggest you try to look at it another way.
Your car collided with other cars. Why do you want to put 'was' before 'collided'?
There must be some reason you want to take a good sentence, and make it into a bad one.

I could not understand why can't we use "was"? I understand "collided" is transitive verb here.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Collided" is intransitive there.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
He knows that, from the many similar questions he's asked. But does he understand what it means?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Don't know.

suniljain

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"Collided" is intransitive there.

Transitive verbs are action verbs that have an object to receive that action whereas intransitive verbs there is no object to receive the action. To find a direct object of a transitive verb, we need to find a verb and then ask what or whom? If the questions seems non sensical then we are dealing with intransitive verb.

I have followed the above rule in the original sentence. Like our car collided with what. The answer is "with other car". So I guess "collided" is transitive verb. Please let me know what am I missing?

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
To find a direct object of a transitive verb, we need to find a verb and then ask what or whom?

Yes, but you didn't ask that. You asked 'with what', and that means that 'the other car' an indirect object. Ergo, it's intransitive.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I have followed the above rule in the original sentence. Like our car collided with what. The answer is "with other car". So I guess "collided" is transitive verb. Please let me know what am I missing?

In your passive version, which is incorrect, you'd have to say something like our car was collided by me with other cars.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Our car was crashed by me into other cars.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It is the OP instead of native speakers who wants to use the passive.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
What I was trying to suggest was to forget about labelling the verbs and to just think about the concepts described by the sentence.
Hindi has active/passive and transitive/intransitive. From what I can tell, they are cognate. If a certain action is transitive in Hindi, it should be in English, since the action is the same.
So, with "John hit something", you don't need to ask whether 'was' can be inserted before 'hit'. If a sentence makes sense with the equivalent of "John helping verb जाना (conjugated) hit something", then it should also make sense in English. It might help if you learnt about these in concepts in Hindi, and then tried to apply them automatically in English simply on the basis of the actions, without any grammatical analysis.

http://taj.chass.ncsu.edu/Hindi.Less.15/grammar.html
http://taj.chass.ncsu.edu/Hindi.Less.23/grammar05.html

Status
Not open for further replies.