Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
We often use “can” to refer to the scheduling or availability for doing something in the future. E.g. I can meet you tomorrow.

But what’s the difference between I can vs I’ll be able to in the following sentences?

1. I can fix your car on Friday.
2. I’ll be able to fix your car on Friday.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Both forms could be used in the same way to make two synonymous sentences. That is, they could both be used to say that you have an available time slot on Friday.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Both forms could be used in the same way to make two synonymous sentences. That is, they could both be used to say that you have an available time slot on Friday.
I agree that they're broadly synonymous, but I think you might tend to meet the 'I'll be able to...' form in a more non-commital context:
'I can fix your car on Friday'
but
''I'll be able to fix your car, but not before next month. If it's urgent, you'll have to get someone else to do it.'

MichaelLu2000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I agree that they're broadly synonymous, but I think you might tend to meet the 'I'll be able to...' form in a more non-commital context:
'I can fix your car on Friday'
but
''I'll be able to fix your car, but not before next month. If it's urgent, you'll have to get someone else to do it.'
Maybe the second one fits more in a context that emphasizes the lack of current ability (lack of parts, staffers, or tools)

That’s my guess.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Maybe the second one fits more in a context that emphasizes the lack of current ability (lack of parts, staffers, or tools)

Yes, that's right, but as you say that's not availability but ability. I thought you were asking about interpretations of availability.

MichaelLu2000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Yes, that's right, but as you say that's not availability but ability. I thought you were asking about interpretations of availability.
Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding that I caused. Let me make it easier to understand:

1. I am busy right now, but I can/will be able to fix your car on Friday. (Both can and will be able to are fine in terms of availability, like time planning or scheduling)

2. I don’t have any parts for your car right now, but the new ones will arrive in two days. I’ll be able to fix your car on Friday. (For ability, “will be able to” is better)

Is my analysis correct?