Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
(1) Does “you must really get me” mean "“you must really understand me"?

(2) Does "attraction" here particularly refer to "sexual attraction"?

---------------------
Can Men and Women Be "Just Friends"?

Can women and men be friends? Attraction plays a significant role in opposite-sex friendship, but that doesn't make the bond any less beneficial

Kate and Dan met on the job in Boston, when they were in their early 20s. He thought she was attractive; she thought he was an arrogant jerk. At a work party, it came out that both had lost a parent in recent years, and a mutual feeling of “you must really get me” washed over them. A few years later, when they both found themselves in New York and single, the friendship ramped way up, into multiple-phone-calls-per-day, soul-baring, belly-laughing territory.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks.
I wonder why it often fails to respond when I click Thank or Like button.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If nothing happens when you click "Like" or "Thank", please put a post in the Support Area, detailing the exact problem, and including what device you are using and which browser.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I often see quite a delay between tapping Like on my mobile device and seeing a response. Try to give it plenty of time, because a second tap or click will cancel the first.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I would say yes, and maybe, rather than yes, and yes. I mean, if they were *really* sexually attracted to one another, there would be little reason they ended up being best phone buddies. Also, "to find someone attractive" can mean that you think they are pretty or handsome, in a more or less strictly visual sense, and to a degree that is distinct from "to be attracted to someone" or "to be strongly attracted to someone."

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Attraction" has many definitions. In this example, it's being discussed in the romantic sense.

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
"attractive" doesn't necessarily imply sexual attraction. It can simply mean "good looking", "pretty" or "handsome".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"attractive" doesn't necessarily imply sexual attraction. It can simply mean "good looking", "pretty" or "handsome".

Well, not really, strictly speaking. If something's 'attractive', it really means you're 'attracted' to it. Otherwise you'd say good-looking/pretty/handsome.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, not really, strictly speaking. If something's 'attractive', it really means you're 'attracted' to it. Otherwise you'd say good-looking/pretty/handsome.

I disagree. It means I think the person is attractive to other people. It says nothing about whether I'm one of them.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have several friends I would call attractive even though I'm not attracted to any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.