Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
On the other hand, overpopulation in advanced countries causes a dwelling shortage and traffic jams. So those should be overcrowded in the city.
* So those (or these) should overcrowd cities.
================================
Can you use "those" or "these" here?

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. The sentence doesn't make sense. And you forgot the obligatory space before the open parenthesis.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
"those" refers to "dwelling(housing) shortage and traffic jams.", so I'd like to know why it doesn't work. If it doesn't maybe "It will overcrowd cities" is correct.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You have to put a space before an open parenthesis unless you're marking optional letter(s) as I've just done.

How would housing shortages and traffic jams overcrowd cities? I would think that a population larger than a city can sustain would be the usual cause of such a condition.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The original writer tried to say "those will confuse cities." Is it proper?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is a lot of confusion. That's for sure. It is unclear what you mean by saying that something can or would or should overcrowd cities. (It is best not to use the word "overcrowd" at all. It doesn't mean anything that "crowd" doesn't mean.)

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I asked the original writer, who said "those" refers to "a housing shortage and traffic jams" and these causes "overcrowding cities". I also think it makes sense as these were caused by overpopulation and overcrowding is one of the results of overpopulation.
=========================================
On the other hand, overpopulation in advanced countries causes a housing shortage and traffic jams.
So those should overcrowd cities.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your reasoning is circular.

For starters, a city is by definition a crowded area. It is having a large number of people packed into a relatively small area that makes it a city. That's not an opinion. That's a fact.

You can say crowding causes overpopulation if you want. But it's an opinion. Even the existence of overpopulation is somebody's opinion. (How many is too many?)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can state an opinion and "prove" that opinion by using other opinions. You never have to use any facts that way.

Cities are by their nature crowded areas.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The original writer tried to say "those will confuse cities." Is it proper?

May I respectfully suggest that the original writer join the forum? It's confusing to see posts from keannu which turn out to have been written by someone else.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
On the other hand, overpopulation in advanced countries causes housing shortages and traffic jams.

So those should be overcrowded in the city. What noun does your pronoun "those" refer to? WHAT should be overcrowded in the city? And why?

* So those (or these) should overcrowd cities. Again, those" and "these" WHAT? What should overcrowd cities?

You put a space before (or these)! Well done!

Last edited:

curiousmarcus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
May I respectfully suggest that the original writer join the forum? It's confusing to see posts from keannu which turn out to have been written by someone else.

If you look at keannu's profile, he is an English tutor. It would not be ideal for him to make every one of his students join the forum.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Good point.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Here, "those" refers to "housing shortages and traffic jams. ". [FONT=&#48148]I can't understand why "So those should overcrowd cities." doesn't make sense.

[/FONT]
========================================
On the other hand, overpopulation in advanced countries causes housing shortages and traffic jams.
[FONT=&#48148]So those should overcrowd cities..
What noun does your pronoun "those" refer to? WHAT should be overcrowded in the city? And why?
[/FONT]
* So those (or these) should overcrowd cities. Again, those" and "these" WHAT? What should overcrowd cities?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't figure out what that statement means. Apparently, nobody else can either. I don't know what it means to say that something should overcrowd a city.

You have created an entirely new sentence, and you expect people to understand it. However, the only way I would be able to understand that statement would be if I was inside your head. However, I am not a mind reader.

I am finished with this conversation.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here, "those" refers to "housing shortages and traffic jams." I can't understand why "So those should overcrowd cities" doesn't make sense.

You're saying that housing shortages and traffic jams should overcrowd cities. I don't think that's what you mean to say.

You might mean that housing shortages and traffic jams:

- are signs of overcrowding.
- are causes of overcrowding.
- need to be addressed to reduce overcrowding.

Do you see what I mean now?

Status
Not open for further replies.