Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Wash your hands first before playing. You just ate slices of orange, and your hands have orange juice on them. If you don’t wash your hands first, you’ll get orange juice all over your toys, and they’ll smell like orange. You don’t want that. No, don't wipe your hand on your shirt. Look, now your shirt have orange juice. That's a delicate piece of shirt. Mother will have a difficult time washing off the orange.

Please check italics if they sound natural.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Wash your hands first before playing. You just ate [STRIKE]slices of[/STRIKE] orange, and your hands have orange juice on them. If you don’t wash your hands first, you’ll get orange juice all over your toys, and they’ll smell like orange. You don’t want that. No, don't wipe your hand on your shirt. Look, now your shirt [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] is stained with orange juice. That's a delicate piece of shirt(?). Mother will have a difficult time washing it [STRIKE]off the orange[/STRIKE].

Please check the text in italics if they sound natural.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Wouldn't that sound like he ate his crayon?

How does crayon come into the picture?
I do not think it is necessary to say "slices of orange" (or the whole orange) after you have eaten the fruit.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd use either "You just ate an orange" or "You just ate some orange". I wouldn't use "You just ate orange".

curiousmarcus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
"You just ate some orange".

Would some orange mean a few pieces of orange, or can it also mean a few slices of orange?

I thought about using an orange, but then he didn't eat a whole piece.

I also thought about using some orange, but then I thought that would mean he ate more than one whole piece.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you mean that he didn't eat a whole piece (segment) or he didn't eat the whole fruit? We don't call one orange "a piece". It's a fruit or an orange.

curiousmarcus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Do you mean that he didn't eat a whole piece (segment) or he didn't eat the whole fruit? We don't call one orange "a piece". It's a fruit or an orange.

I didn't know that! Thank you!

Considering your correction, my questions would have been better phrased as:

Would some orange mean a few oranges, or can it also mean a few slices of orange?

I thought about using an orange, but then he didn't eat a whole fruit.

I also thought about using some orange, but then I thought that would mean he ate more than one orange, which he didn't.

That's why I used You just ate slices of orange. On second thought, maybe I could have used You just ate a few slices of orange. But wouldn't that be too wordy?

Maybe orange slices?

Last edited:

curiousmarcus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Your desire to use correct English with Johnny is commendable, but most of the language you ask about in your posts is not what native speakers would use.

The simple everyday conversation is where I trip up the most. I appreciate all your efforts and patience in answering my questions. Thank you teachers! :up:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your original post repeats the word 'orange' far too many times. We would replace it in some places with the pronoun 'it'.

Wouldn't you do this in Tagalog?

Status
Not open for further replies.