Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hello,

I'm actually writing an scientific paper in maths, and I have some trouble with some mathematical vocabulary. Especially the verb that would correspond to the noun 'upper bound' or 'lower bound'. The only translation which have been proposed to me are 'increase' or 'raise' but it does not have the same sense...
For instance, in the expression " 2 < 5 " then 5 is an upper bound of 2. But it sounds totally false to me that 5 increase 2.
I was thinking maybe, the term 'upper bound' can be transformed as a verb : 'to up bound something' ? But I would rather have the confirmation from a English teacher.

Regards,
GavrocheDesBois

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

I'm [Delete "actually."] writing a scientific paper in maths [No, you're writing in English, not in maths.], and I'm having trouble with some mathematical vocabulary, especially the verb that would correspond to the noun 'upper bound' or 'lower bound'. ["Bound" is not a noun. "Upper" and "lower" are adjectives.]

The only translations which have been proposed to me are 'increase' or 'raise', but they do not have the same sense...
For instance, in the expression " 2 < 5 " then 5 is an upper bound of 2. But it sounds totally false to me that 5 increase 2. ["5 increase 2" doesn't mean anything. Can you rephrase it?]

I was thinking maybe, the term 'upper bound' can be transformed as a verb[no space]: 'to up bound something'[no space]? But I would rather have." [Delete "the"] confirmation from an English teacher. [The phrase "to up bound something" is also meaningless. Can you rephrase it?]

Regards,
Gavroche [space] DesBois

I don't know what you mean by "bound." Boundary? Limit?

Have you tried a math forum? ("Math" is American English fro "maths."]

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Thank you for the corrections Charlie,

I link you the wikipedia page that guaranties the existence of 'upper bound' and 'lower bound as nouns
[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_and_lower_bounds

[/URL]It is hard for me to rephrase something that is the heart of the question ... but I'll try. What I meant by giving you this little example was purposely to show that 'increase' or 'raise' do not match for my case.
Maybe, the right verb to use could be 'to bound from above', but I was searching for something more compact (in my native language, we have a single word to express that "majorer").

I'm afraid I'm looking for something too specific. In the meantime I'll take my chance on maths forums as well.

GavrocheDesBois ( I appreciate you want to split my pseudo in two parts, but I'd rather keep it in one :-D )

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry, I thought Gavroche DesBois was your name!

Again, I'm not a mathmetician. To me, "2 < 5" just means "two is less than five." I've never seen it used to express a range. If you've already found "upper bound" and "lower bound" in an English-language reference, that could be your answer.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't think of the verb you're looking for, but I'll offer a tip on English. When you wrote actually, I think you were thinking of the French adverb actuellement. Sadly for Francophones, that word translates into English as currently. The English adverb actually translates into French as en fait or en réalité.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the expressions you're looking for are 'bounded above' and 'bounded below', according to this Wikipedia article on upper and lower bounds. You might read the Wiki page and see if it's talking about the same thing you're trying to express.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hi again,
I hope you all enjoyed your weekend. Thanks for all those answers !
After searching all around the web, I have the same conclusion as Skrej. I should use 'bound from below/above' for my paper.

Last problem, I did not find out how I can put this thread as 'solved'... Any tips, or should I just edit the title ?

GavrocheDesBois

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You cannot edit the title.

Have you found the Thank button? Clicking on that will tell us that you are satisfied with our answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.