black lorry driver (how to get rid of the ambiguity)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ademoglu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi,

*self-made*

The phrase 'black lorry driver' may mean 'the driver of the black lorry' or 'the black driver of the lorry', so I'd like to ask whether or not I get rid of that ambiguity when I put a hypen between the words as in:

Black-lorry driver: The driver of the black lorry.
Black lorry-driver: The black driver of the lorry.

Is it OK?

Thanks.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No.

If it's the lorry that's black, say 'the driver of the black lorry'.

It's not the same as white van man — a fixed expression in BE.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Both phrases could be natural in the right context. The hyphens do remove any ambiguity. The second is more likely to occur in real life.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think that "the driver of the black lorry" and "the black driver of the lorry" are much less likely to confuse the listener or reader.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The hyphens would work in writing, but not in speech. However, it sounds more natural to me to specify the colour of the lorry in most contexts.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Funny! I read it just the opposite way. Example of American versus British mindsets?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd specify the ethnicity of the driver and the colour of the van if I'd witnessed a crime, but in other contexts, the colour of the van would probably matter more.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Funny! I read it just the opposite way. Example of American versus British mindsets?

I don't think so - it's just a question of context. Is the critical information the driver's skin color, or the driver's van color?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think so - it's just a question of context. Is the critical information the driver's skin color, or the driver's van color?

Really? If you read about a black truck driver, would you assume it was a black truck?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How we read things depends on which words we are most used to seeing together. For me "truck driver" is such a common collocation that I would assume that "black truck driver" meant a truck driver who is black.
However, if we take "black cab" as a different example, the same isn't true. "Black cabs" are the classic taxis driven in London so if I see "black cab", I assume that's what is being talked about. Therefore, if I see "black cab driver" (in a British setting), I would assume it's "the driver of a black cab" and the colour of the driver is not being mentioned.
It's the same with the earlier example of "white van man", a commonly used phrase in BrE. It refers to the driver of a white Transit van, commonly used for a lot of businesses. The phrase is used regardless of the colour of the driver - it's just a man driving a white van.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, indeed! We had a long thread here a year or two ago that talked about how funny two adjectives and a noun can be. It had lots of silly examples illustrating why something like "black lorry driver" should be rephrased.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.