John walked back to the kitchen and poured some black coffee and walked back to the dining room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is there a synonym for "walk back"? How can I avoid repeating it in this sentence?

John walked back to the kitchen and poured some black coffee and walked back to the dining room.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I don't think you can find an exact synonym. Just reword the sentence. I take it that "back" implies a repeated action. Certain things which are understood do not need to be repeated.

How about:
From the dining room, John went to the kitchen again to pour (refill) some black coffee.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
John walked/went back to the kitchen to get some coffee and returned to the dining room.

"Poured some black coffee" doesn't sound natural.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just use some different synonyms for walk. There are many. Pick one which best suits the mood or atmosphere. - stroll, amble,saunter, step, stomp, march, mosey, etc.

Unless he's been repeatedly going between the kitchen and dining room, you probably only need 'back' for the return to the dining room.

John stepped into the kitchen to pour some black coffee and moseyed back into the dining room.

If he's upset or angry, then perhaps he 'stomped to the kitchen and stormed back to the dining room'. Use verbs to set the tone.

'Poured some black coffee' is completely natural, though.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Isn't all coffee black when it's in the pot?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you!

I wish those with lack of expertise refrain from commenting. This behavior has reduced the quality of the forum.

This attitude is how you get no responses. Native English speakers from various areas of the world will have different opinions on the naturalness of speech.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I'd have been fine with "poured himself some coffee" or "poured himself a cup of coffee". But saying he went into the kitchen and poured some coffee and came back sounds to me as if he just poured out some coffee and came back without it. I agree this could just be me.

Everything depends on context of course. If an earlier sentence referred to him pouring out and drinking coffee, or if this sentence referred to him bringing a cup back to the dining room, it'd probably read better.

For instance:
He went to the kitchen, poured some coffee and brought the cup back to the dining room.

I think something many learners don't get is how context-dependent this language is.

Also, coffee is normally black till you add milk or cream. I think this is the point Soothing Dave was making. The specific reference to "black coffee" sounded off to me for that reason.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is there a synonym for "walk back"? How can I avoid repeating it in this sentence?

If he hadn't been to the kitchen yet there would be no need for "walked back" the first time. Perhaps: "John went into the kitchen to get some coffee. Then he took it into the living room."

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The kitchen could be "in the back," so the "walk back" does not refer to returning to a place, but just going to the back.

Funny language we have, huh?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
The kitchen could be "in the back," so the "walk back" does not refer to returning to a place, but just going to the back.
Didn't think of that but yes, you have a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.