[Vocabulary] "...pleasure, and BS of wine told through ..." what's the meaning of BS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

minamax10

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Greetings!

I've recently watched a movie and in the synopsis it said "The history, politics, pleasure, and BS of wine told through opening ten very different bottles." What does BS mean? I searched the net and it says that there are 170 plus definitions for BS ;)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: "...pleasure, and BS of wine told through ..." what's the meaning of BS?

The most common meaning of "BS" is "bullshit" - a somewhat offensive word you shouldn't use unless you're very sure of who you're speaking to. If the movie is remotely amusing or sarcastic, then I think that's what "BS" means in the synopsis. If it's a perfectly serious film about wine, then there must be another intended definition.

minamax10

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

I kind of thought that it might be "bulls*t", but was surprised to see it in the synopsis on imdb.com http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5161502/?ref_=nv_sr_1 Now I'm wondering whether it's just someone's personal (not an official) synopsis. The movie is a serious documentary about wine industry, so not really one that would warrant vulgar wording in the synopsis.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Some of the synopses on imdb are written from a "personal opinion" point of view and some come direct from the filmmakers. If you scroll down to the User Reviews, you will see that someone who watched the film (and is a sommelier) underlines the fact the wine business is based on a lot of BS!

minamax10

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

Thanks emsr2d2! You confirmed my suspicion that the synopsis might have been written by an individual vs the producing company.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

The most common meaning of "BS" is "bullshit" - a somewhat offensive word you shouldn't use unless you're very sure of who you're speaking to. If the movie is remotely amusing or sarcastic, then I think that's what "BS" means in the synopsis. If it's a perfectly serious film about wine, then there must be another intended definition.

Our governor here in Maine uses it all the time! Google the phrase governor lepage bullshit. I think you'll be impressed.

And of course that's what the writer meant. It's worth noting that Americans (and maybe other English speakers) use initials in speech all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.