Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everybody!

Well, who ever thought it could happen? But, last week in the wee hours of the morning, before my second run I woke up a 2am. I tried and tried, but I just couldn’t get back to sleep. Of course when I finally started to drift off into never-never land after trying everything, it was already 5am!

In my opinion, the bolded fragment "drift off into never-never land" in the sentence above means "fall asleep" or "go to sleep" or "get to sleep".

What else could it mean?

Do you agree?

Thank you.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Source and author?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You haven't looked it up, have you? If you do, you'll discover that it's from one of the most widely-read books in the English-speaking world.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not sure if that was directed at Rover, Charlie, but we're not in the habit of spending extra time looking up users' quotes for them. We make it clear that they must cite the source and author of any quote in post #1. Our responses asking them for that information are supposed to serve as a reminder of that, in the hope that eventually they will just remember to do it.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not sure if that was directed at Rover, Charlie, but we're not in the habit of spending extra time looking up users' quotes for them. We make it clear that they must cite the source and author of any quote in post #1. Our responses asking them for that information are supposed to serve as a reminder of that, in the hope that eventually they will just remember to do it.

Of course not! It was a gentle suggestion to Jacek to dig a little before coming here. It would never occur to me that Rover wouldn't know what Never Never Land is.

Sorry, Rover, no disrespect intended!

I do look them up myself sometimes just for fun, but I don't think I've been spilling the beans to anyone.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks! Now, have you looked up Never Never Land yet? Does your sentence make sense?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What is this current obsession with posting links and expecting us to click on them, instead of just actually typing the name of the author and the title of the piece into a response (or preferably giving it in post #1)? Jacek, please just tell us the information.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You haven't looked it up, have you? If you do, you'll discover that it's from one of the most widely-read books in the English-speaking world.

And a Metallica song!

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Yes, I have looked up Never Never Land, but its literal meaning makes no sense when we take the context into account.

Well, who ever thought it could happen? But, last week in the wee hours of the morning, before my second run I woke up a 2am. I tried and tried, but I just couldn’t get back to sleep. Of course when I finally started to drift off into never-never land after trying everything, it was already 5am!

In my opinion, the bolded fragment "drift off into never-never land" in the sentence above means "fall asleep" or "go to sleep" or "get to sleep".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I have looked up Never Never Land, but its literal meaning makes no sense when we take the context into account.

In that context, there is no other possible conclusion.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I have looked up Never Never Land, but its literal meaning makes no sense when we take the context into account. . . .

It's not literal. It's figurative.

Yes. You had it right to begin with. I'm surprised that looking up the expression didn't confirm that for you. Sorry!

Polish might have expressions like Dreamland and Slumberland. This is the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.