Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Would you please correct the mistakes in my short story, The Feminist?

As Peter was strolling down the street, he saw a woman walking in the opposite direction. He had seen her somewhere, but could not remember where. She was dressed badly - black leader trousers on her fat legs, and long black leader boots, despite being a hot summer day. Under the grey sleeveless top bulged tattoos on her both arms. As they came closer, the woman gave him an icy stare. The piercing in her nose twinkled in the sun, and as they passed by one another, Peter remembered they had met at the lecture of the well-known radical feminist author. It was one of the worst experiences in his life, listening to the speaker raging against men and manliness. Later the refreshments were served, and he and the woman with a ring in her nose sat at the same table and had a conversation.

“Men are animals,” she snorted through her flared nostrils. “Without them the earth would be paradise.” She went on condemning fishing and hunting, and the men who indulged in such cruelties.
Peter, who was a keen angler, could never agree with such an idea.
“Men had been hunting and fishing for thousands of years and women never bothered about that until feminists came to the fore. Fishing and hunting run in a man’s blood. What harm can an angler or a hunter do?”
Her short blond hair bristled; her eyes flashed with fury. Peter followed the movements of her hands that started to tremble. He was bracing himself for a punch. There was a moment of an uncomfortable silence, which was broken by a voice of his girlfriend Anita, who got up and told him to follow her outside. They drove off and had an argument when they arrived home. He blamed Anita for taking him to the lecture in the first place. She said that it was instructive to see what one part of female population thought.

“Don’t you understand what the feminists are doing? They are not interested in well-being of their fellow sisters. They are materialists and best friends of corporations and banks. They want to destroy a man and a traditional family only to build an autocratic consumer society where love and feelings would stop to exist. They would be replaced by more goods and more emptiness.”

Anita shook her head in refusal. “They have done so much for equality.”
“Equality?” Peter snorted. “You are naive. Look who is dying on a battlefield and who is digging coal and minerals deep in mines.”

Their discussion went on for some time and Peter was winning the argument, but probably not because of the evidence, but rather because of all the expensive gifts he had bought her in the past and was going to buy her in the coming time.

Peter turned his head, watched the feminist waddle away and he shuddered. The general election was coming soon and the Feminist party had a realistic chance to be part of the government. The woman told him about their plans for the labour camps, where disobedient men would be re-educated and domesticated, and about the castration of the incorrigible. Involuntarily, Peter laid his hand on his groin, which drew titters from a group of teenage girls. He went crimson and pulled his hand back. His mind was swirling with thoughts. He had to make preparations in case he had to flee the country. The Feminist party and its radical leadership in the government would turn the country upside down. They would use the opportunity to enslave the male population and turn them into eunuchs. He would pack valuables and books in his two bags and keep them beside his bed. If Anita decided to follow him, it would be great, but if she stayed, he would travel alone and find refuge in a country where men and women still behaved according to their nature. Here they had started swapping roles. While talking with people you could become confused. Was it a man or a woman you were talking to or a new creature who had emerged because of an experiment or an anomaly in genes?

At the university where he taught philosophy, he got the impression that some of his colleagues were undergoing transformation. They even depilated all parts of their male bodies and used make-up. Women grew a moustache and beard and did not shave their legs. It was as if a virus was spreading around and people could not protect themselves. Peter stood naked every morning in front of the mirror and looked for the signs of “illness”. Once he dreamed he turned into a woman with a pale body and large breasts, and he woke up soaked in sweat.
He halted by the shop that sold fishing gear and he felt sorrow in his heart. He wished to take his rod with him and his tackle box and sit beside the river for hours, thinking of nothing, just watching the waves rippling, lapping, and sparkling in the sun. But he felt angling was soon going to be forbidden, just as boxing, horse racing and beer drinking in a pub.
He had to be ready. He would escape before it was too late. He had to breathe freely, shout aloud, swear, banter, crack dirty jokes, and feel like a man.
THE END

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As Peter was strolling down the street, he saw a woman walking towards him. He had seen her somewhere, but he could not remember where. She was dressed badly -- black leather trousers on her fat legs, and long black leather boots, despite it being a hot summer day.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

Under the grey sleeveless top bulged tattoos on both arms.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are a few things that need to be changed. But I am going to wait to see if Teechar or Ted comes by. I don't feel like doing much typing right now.

As far as doing without men, I don't think it's possible, but I'm sure some would eliminate men entirely if they could. It's true that a world without men would be a more peaceful place.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Tarheel,

Regarding men, I do not agree with you. I think that women can be as evil as men are, and I think they are more materialistic than men. If you see for example a mail order catalog or an online catalog of the companies which sell clothing, they are much larger when it comes to women clothing. I think when a parliament in any country votes for a war, female representatives do not differ from their male colleagues. They are willing to send soldiers to death without feeling any compassion. Many women have told me that women are more cruel to each other than men, although they are more subtle in their behaviour.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could be right. But it is certainly true that men are much more often convicted of violent crimes than women are.

The bombings at the Istanbul airport are on my mind right now. One of my Facebook friends was there. She is safe and sound, but she could have been injured or killed, and for what?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Next sentence. Say:

The piercing in her nose twinkled in the sun, and as they passed by each other Peter remembered they had met at the lecture given by the well-known radical feminist author.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Next sentence. Say:

Later, refreshments were served...

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Next sentence. Say:

There was a moment of uncomfortable silence, which was broken by the voice of his girlfriend, Anita.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I already dislike the author and her number one fan.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tarheel,

Regarding men, I do not agree with you. I think that women can be as evil as men are, and I think they are more materialistic than men. If you see for example a mail order catalog or an online catalog of the companies which sell clothing, they are much larger when it comes to women clothing. I think when a parliament in any country votes for a war, female representatives do not differ from their male colleagues. They are willing to send soldiers to death without feeling any compassion. Many women have told me that women are more cruel to each other than men, although they are more subtle in their behaviour.

Do you know that women who murder are more likely to use poison? (Probably the most famous poisoner was Lucrecia Borgia.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Next sentence. Perhaps:

She said that it was instructive to see what one part of the female population thinks.

Eh?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Next paragraph. Say:

They are not interested in the well-being of their fellow sisters.

OR

They are not interested in the well-being of other women.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

They want to destroy men and the traditional family and replace them with an autocratic, materialistic society where love and feelings would cease to exist.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Next sentence. Perhaps:

They would be replaced by things.

OR

They would be replaced by material goods and by nothing where there used to be something.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Next paragraph. Perhaps:

Anita shook her head emphatically. "They have done much to advance the principle of equality," she said. "Equality!" he snorted. "Who do you think does the dying on battlefields, and who digs for coal and minerals deep in mines?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Next. Say:

Their discussion went for some time, and Peter was winning the argument, but probably not because of the evidence but rather because of all the expensive gifts he had bought her in the past and was going to buy her in the future.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Next sentence. Say:

Peter turned his head; he watched the feminist waddle away, and he shuddered.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We're revisiting the first paragraph. Say:

It was one of the worst experiences of his life listening to the speaker rage against men and .manliness.

OR

Listening to the speaker rage against men and manliness was one of the worst experiences of his life.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Tarheel,
I am wondering about your post Nr 16. The sentence in your version: "Who do you think does the dying on battlefields..." I have never heard expression "does the dying" and I am wondering if it is grammatically correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.