Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

I am looking for a noun.

Here is the definition of Market Capitalization: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_capitalization

Market capitalization (market cap) is the market value at a point in time of the shares outstanding of a publicly traded company, being equal to the share price at that point of time times the number of shares outstanding.

If I want to express how many shares can be bought or sold in the stock market, can I use the following nouns?

A. Circulation Market Capitalization
B. Circulation Market Value
C. Current Market Capitalization
D. Current Market Value
E. (Other?)

What is the proper noun/term commonly used in financial?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Market capitalization refers to the total amount of shares of a company multiplied by their price. But not all of those shares are actually on the market, because investors hold them long term. Are you looking for the word for the number of shares that are actually available on the market to be bought?

fenglish

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
On the Australian market, that number would be called "Shares on offer". This number can change every millisecond or so. Another term is "Trading volume" which refers to the number of shares bought and sold in a certain period of time (usually a day). Naturally the number sold will equal the number bought.

fenglish

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks.

Trading Amount= Trading Volume * Share Price
Market Capitalization = Trading Amount + [Sell-able Volume but hold by share owner * Share Price] + [Not Sell-able volume * Share Price]

I think it should be like this, what are the commonly nouns for [Sell-able Volume but hold by share owner * Share Price] and [Not Sell-able volume * Share Price]?

And what is the noun for "Trading Amount + [Sell-able Volume but hold by share owner * Share Price]"?

Last edited by a moderator:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'm not sure about "trading amount".
You can get all sorts of definitions here: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/shareturnover.asp

Market capitalization isn't broken down like that, that I know of. It doesn't matter whether the shares are on offer or are being held. It's simply the total number by the latest price. The company has a fixed number of shares in circulation - it doesn't matter who owns them or if they've just been sold. It's that number by the latest price that makes the market cap.

Also, considering the Trading Volume for one day, the shares would range in price, so you can't just multiply the daily volume by the last price.
If a company has a million shares on issue, regardless of the number bought and sold one day (the trading volume), the market capitalization of the company at the end of that day is one million times the last sale price.

Status
Not open for further replies.