Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
My friend asks me to come at an unknown place. I have never been to that place before. Somehow I reach that place and its a building. I have to go upstairs but first I have to cross the road as well. I am on the opposite side. I call him to tell him that I have arrived but I am still confused.

I :- "I have reached to the point where you asked me to come. I am standing underneath the building. Do I have to come upstairs? On which floor?. OK I am coming but first I will have to cross the road I am on the other side of the road."

Please check.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My friend asks me to come [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] to [STRIKE]an unknown place[/STRIKE] a place I have never been to [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]place[/STRIKE] before. Somehow, I reach that place and it's a building. I have to go upstairs but first I have to cross the road. [STRIKE]as well.[/STRIKE] I am on the opposite side. I call him to tell him that I have arrived but I am still confused.

I :- "I have reached [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] the point [STRIKE]where[/STRIKE] you asked me to come to. I am standing [STRIKE]underneath[/STRIKE] opposite the building. Do I have to come upstairs? [STRIKE]On[/STRIKE] To which floor? OK, I am coming but first I [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] have to cross the road because I am on the other side." [STRIKE]of the road."[/STRIKE]

Please check.

Note my amendments above.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could also say "I'm standing outside the building", although I'd probably wait to say that until I was closer to the front door.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Note my amendments above.

Suppose, I am standing on the same side of the road on which the building is located that too in front of that building then what I can say?

My friend:- "on what side of the road are you?"

Me (I am confused whether to use "I" or "me" here?):-"I am standing on the same side of the road on which the building is situated. I am right in front or underneath the building."

Can we also say "you are on the opposite side of the road. You have to come across."

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You are not underneath the building. Did you follow the link I provided in post 2 to the meaning of that word?

Sorry, I didn't know that it was a link. I checked it , okay I got it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Suppose ​(no comma required here) I am standing on the same side of the road on which the building is located [STRIKE]that too[/STRIKE] and in front of that building. [STRIKE]then[/STRIKE] In that situation, what I can say?

My friend:- "On what side of the road are you?"

Me (I am confused whether to use "I" or "me" here?) Use "me" :-"I am standing on the same side of the road [STRIKE]on which[/STRIKE] as thebuilding. [STRIKE]is situated.[/STRIKE] Would I say "I am right in front of ..." or [STRIKE]underneath[/STRIKE] " ... outside the building."

Can we also say "You are on the opposite side of the road. You have to [STRIKE]come[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]across[/STRIKE] cross [the road]."

See above.

If you're on the correct side of the road and you are right by the building, you would say "I'm on the same side of the road as the building. In fact, I'm standing right outside the building".
If you're on the wrong side of the road, your friend would tell you that you need to cross the road.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You could only say 'I'm underneath the building' if you were in its underground car park.

Status
Not open for further replies.