Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
attachment.php

I've googled long and hard for the name of the orange vehicle, but the closest I think I got is soil stabilizer or road recycle. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if that's correct.

In addition, I just like to verify if I have the correct terms for the others:

Yellow - steamroller, or should it be road roller? (Google said most people still use steamroller even if they're mostly powered by internal combustion engine nowadays)

Green - tracked excavator

Attachments

• vehicle 1.JPG
    vehicle 1.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I'd call the yellow one a 'steam roller', or possibly just a 'roller' and as Dave said the orange one is a 'grader'. I mentioned road grading in post #24 here.

The green one is simply called an 'excavator' - don't bother using the word 'tracked'.

For the record, I've had occasion to use an excavator several times. I'm by no means an expert operator, but they are incredibly useful machines, and a lot of fun to use. They are extremely versatile.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Excavators were originally "steam shovels," but that terminology did not stick around the way "steamroller" did.

J

J&K Tutoring

Thanks for asking! Too often I've seen any piece of construction equipment referred to as a "bulldozer".

As to your question, it depends on context. As Skrej mentioned, it's typically not necessary to specify the green one as a tracked excavator, though there are wheeled versions of the same machine. BTW, it is not a backhoe, as it is far too often called.

The Caterpillar site calls the yellow one a compactor, though there may be regional variations. From your illustration I guess you don't need to be very precise, so probably roller will be okay.

The orange one is a grader, as previously mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.