Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I am going to teach pre-schoolers the words 'water', 'stones', 'air', 'earth' (or land/ground, 'earth' not as a planet, but as substance) etc. For this purpose I am going to make flashcards with pictures and words 'water', 'air', 'stones' written on them. Is 'land' a correct word to be used in this context (to be written on a corresponding flashcard)? Or should it be 'earth', 'soil' or 'ground'?

Last edited:
Dirt would be the best choice. I would use it rather than earth or any of the other choices.

I wouldn't use land if I were talking about the substance.

And I wouldn't use dirt either. In BrE that doesn't mean earth or soil, it means something that makes you dirty.

I wouldn't use land if I were talking about the substance.<...> And I wouldn't use dirt either.

In this context I need to show the children different elements of Nature (air, water, stones and ...... (earth/ground/land?)

I would say 'earth'.

It sounds a little like the four classical elements of earth, water, air and fire.

Yes, or inanimate nature.

Well, I wouldn't use "inanimate" with pre-schoolers. Also, I want to know how you're going to make a picture of air.
:cool:

'Dirt' or 'soil' would be my first two choices.

I'd use only "soil". (Former teacher of Horticulture)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back