Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Can I use the present perfect to mean completion of an action in the future as follows?
"The bill will be formally effective from the date on which it has been signed into law." Or does it need to be "...the date on which it is passed into law."? Would either be correct?

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The bill will take effect as soon as it has been enacted.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can I use the present perfect to mean completion of an action in the future as follows?
"The bill will be formally effective from the date on which it has been signed into law." Or does it need to be "..........the date on which it is passed into law."? Would either be correct?

The first is legally and grammatically correct. The second is grammatically but, in most if not all jurisdictions, not legally correct.

Use three dots for an ellipsis.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Just a random question. If I got to talking about legal stuff, would the past simple informally work here? "...the date on which it was signed into law."

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just a random question. If I got to talking about legal stuff, would the past simple informally work here? "...the date on which it was signed into law."

If the whole sentence is The bill will be formally effective from the date on which it was signed into law, it's wrong. You need the simple present ...the date on which it is​ signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.