Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi, I would appreciate some help with the descriptions below. Please point out if you find any mistakes. Thank you.

Short summary
A young doctor's first death on the operating table forces him to switch from medical to herbs and healing. However, as his mother gets ill, he knows that he has to return to medical to help her recover.

Long Summary
After his first surgery ends up in death, a young doctor named Dani becomes hopeless and decides to return to his hometown. Upon arrival, he meets the village's medicine man, who teaches him herbs and healings, and soon, Dani continues his legacy as the village's medicine man. One day, his mother falls ill, and he knows he has to return to the white jacket to help her recover. Will it be that easy to make that switch?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

After a young doctor "loses" a patient on the operating table, he switches to herbal medicine. After his mother becomes ill, he switches right back.

Gaya87

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
It's too briefer to me. How about this:

After a young doctor "loses" a patient on the operating table, he switches to traditional ways of herbal medicine. However, as his mother becomes ill, he switches right back to the world of modern medicine.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The first sentence is good. For the second one, try:

However, after his mother becomes ill, he switches back to the world of modern medicine.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
A young doctor's first casualty on the operating table forces him to switch from modern medicine to traditional herbal medicine. However, as his mother becomes ill, he switches back again.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I associate the word "casualty" with the battlefield. Casualties are dead and wounded soldiers and civilians resulting from battlefield action (or something similar).

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

after (not "as") his mother becomes ill....

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps the patient was a casualty of the doctor's incompetence. (I'm sure the doctor would prefer not to think so.)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It appears that the doctor does think so. Why would he give up his surgical career just to go off and sell herbs unless he was feeling guilty?

PS: 'Casualty' works for me in this situation.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The doctor could have been upset that his patient died even though it wasn't his fault.

Maybe I'll ask my doctor (or his nurse) if medical personnel refer to dead patients as casualties.

Gaya87

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
Perhaps the patient was a casualty of the doctor's incompetence. (I'm sure the doctor would prefer not to think so.)

Yes I would agree with you on that. I personally feel that "Casualty" is not a suitable word for this content.

Status
Not open for further replies.