[Grammar] Why is the future tense used here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rock-onn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The achievement of CSFs will be vital to a business and it should have targets for sucess in these areas that are measured and monitored.

I took the above sentence from my study text book.

The achievement of CFS is always vital to a business and so using simple present tense would be more apt. But they use simple future tense. There must be a reason.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Re: why future tense is used here?

It's a very unnatural sentence. What is the title of your book?

rock-onn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Thanks for correcting.

Somethings I learn slowly, somethings I learn fast.

It is taken from Kaplan ACCA study text.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Some things I learn slowly; some things I learn fast.
Please note my corrections to your post, and also to the thread title of post #1.

rock-onn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

The business theories and economic theories are not scientifically and rationally proved and hence they are not universal truth like a scientific theory. SO, it is wrong to use simple present tense for such statements which are based on a business or economic theories.

for example, a listed company will aim to increase their share price in the stock market.

It is wrong to say all listed companies always aim to increase their share price, simply because it is not a universal truth. say, 99% probable that a listed company aims to increase their share price. So, in such statements which are based on business or economic theories my study text is not using simple present tense. so what I am writing here is my guessing.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
What's a CSF?

rock-onn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Critical success factor (CSF) is a management term for an element that is necessary for an organization or project to achieve its mission. It is a critical factor or activity required for ensuring the success of a company or an organization.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Then the future tense sounds a bit odd, out of context. Maybe it makes sense in the paragraph that it originally came from.

rock-onn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
They use simple future tense for similar sentences throughout that chapter. I didn't read full book yet.

Tomorrow, I will write those statements from my book as well. I am at office right now.

rock-onn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
That paragraph which mentions CSF, which I qouted earlier' has only just 2 sentences. Next paragragh discuss about how they can be measured.

rock-onn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I just read an article on finance from website. They use simple future tense. I am pasting it below.

A profit pool can, therefore, be defined as the total profit earned in an industry at all points along the industry’s value chain. Although the concept is simple, the structure of a profit pool is usually quite complex.

The pool will be deeper in some segments of the value chain than in others, and depths will vary within an individual segment as well.

I noticed same thing in my book. Definitions are given in simple present tense. Further explanation they might use simple future tense where simple present tense looks more appropriate to me.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
That's a different type of usage of "will be". It sounds normal there.
"If you take 100 random men and 100 random women, the average height of the men will be greater than the average height of the women." We say it this way even though their heights aren't going to change just by being selected and measured.
Similarly, you can't say, "The pool is deeper in some segments ..." because you haven't yet chosen a pool. The sentence means, "If you take a pool and measure it, the pool will be deeper in some segments ..."

Status
Not open for further replies.