Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
The text in bold was corrected by my teacher. I will be very pleased if you could point out any more mistakes. Thank you in advance!

Nowadays, it is a well-established fact that a [STRIKE]huge[/STRIKE] large number of countries suffer from poverty. Among the different reasons that explain why they are in such a trouble, wars are arguably the most important one, followed by [STRIKE]economical[/STRIKE] economic recessions . Likewise, a lack of resources can affect negatively [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] these countries. Despite the fact that the causes of entering situations of misery and big poverty are well known, the solutions are not as clear as it was expected to be.

First of all, It is common knowledge that, since escaping from this situation is not a piece of cake, poor countries ask for help to rich ones. However, there are different points of view on whether [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] this is a good solution or not.

On the one hand, there are people who believe that poor countries have to get out of [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] poverty by themselves. Those people think that this is the responsibility of the country’s government to deal with it. They also consider that if poor countries have debts with wealthy countries they have to pay them as soon as possible.

On the other hand, fortunately, there is another side of the coin. There are other people who think that when it is needed, wealthy countries should provide the poorer ones with the basic needs. This way, little by little poor countries would recover their regular levels of food, healthcare, education, goods and services. In addition, they believe that rich countries can forgive debts from poor countries until the latter [STRIKE]get[/STRIKE] have recovered from poverty.

From my honest opinion, wealthy countries should lend a helping hand to poorer countries so as to help them to recover. From my own knowledge, it is important to bear in mind the expression "what goes around comes around". Today, there are people who are way too close-minded and do not [STRIKE]think out of the box[/STRIKE] think outside the box but [STRIKE]they[/STRIKE] just [STRIKE]think[/STRIKE] for their own sake. If I could, I would like to tell them that, if one day their country were in poverty, they would like to have support from others. Everyone deserves a good level of life and as far as I am concerned, if I had the opportunity to help others, I would act properly cooperating with good measures and helping them as much as possible.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First of all, poverty is the default human condition. It is prosperity that needs to be explained.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"... can affect negatively these countries" is a rather non-native word order. A native would write "... can affect these countries negatively" or "can have a negative effect on these countries".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Despite the fact that the causes of entering situations of misery and big poverty are well known, the solutions are not as clear as [STRIKE]it was[/STRIKE] they were expected to be.

I have underlined unnatural collocations. I have corrected a singular/plural error.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

Among the reasons that explain why they are in such trouble, wars are arguably the most important one, followed by economic recessions.

The United States and Japan were involved in a terrible war with each other. Also, the US abandoned the New Deal.

Hong Kong has very little in the way of material resources, but it has one of the highest per capita incomes in the world. Then there is Singapore, one of the most economically free countries in the world.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

Likewise, a lack of resources can affect these countries negatively.

(See post #3.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

Since it is not easy to achieve prosperity, poor countries ask for help from rich ones.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Those people think that this is the responsibility of the country’s government to deal with it.

This sentence should be either:

Those people think that it is the responsibility of the country's government to deal with it.
or
Those people think that this is the responsibility of the country's government.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You seem to assume that countries that are poor today were once prosperous, but what is the evidence for that?

The phrase "think outside the box" has become a cliche. It's boring.

You have used plenty of words to say nothing at all. (Well, you did make a case for foreign aid.)

If you have any questions, ask them.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
- Avoid using informal expressions and idioms (such as "piece of cake" and "what goes around, comes around') in your essays.

- "From my honest opinion" should be "In my honest opinion", but "honest" in unnecessary.

- I don't understand what you mean by "cooperating with good measures"; it sounds highly unnatural to me.

lakybel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
(From my honest opinion). We should say : In my honest opinion,

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"From my honest opinion." We should say (no colon here) "In my honest opinion."

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my corrections above. Your profile says that your native language is English. On that basis, please take care to ensure that your posts are written correctly.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to simply repeat the advice teechar gave in post #10.

Status
Not open for further replies.