Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Introduction to chess gaming

The chess game is an old game believed to be originated in India. The Europeans developed the chess into a higher level in last few centuries and at present the chess syllabus is highly voluminous. Today, the whole globe is playing this game and it has high reputation in society.

In Indian chess, the queen was originally called Chief Minister or left hand of king and its movement is same but restricted to one square in a turn. Bishop was originally called elephant troops and its movement is same but restricted to maximum of 3 squares in a turn. Rook is originally called Chariot troops, the movement is same but restricted to maximum of 5 squares in one turn and thus it is the fastest piece in the game. In English Chess, there are no restrictions to movement for bishop, rook and queen and looks meaningless for me. The restrictions on king, knight, pawn remains the same in English chess.

Chess is classified as a strategy game in which two players play against each other. Each player is given a turn to make a move of his piece. A player has to identify the best move in his turn so to win the game. The identification of the best move requires skill that can be developed only by rigorous practice. A player has to consider combination of many factors to determine the best move. Usually, a chess player calculates few moves ahead in his mind. More moves calculated in mind more better chance to find the best move. Generally, a player looks for a forcing move but sometimes the most forcing move may not be the best. A forcing move means that the opponent is forced to make a move usually to defend himself.

A chess game can be divided into 3 phases, opening, middle game, and end game. The rules in each phase are different. It is good to start to learn end game first then middle game and then Chess opening. To improve chess gaming skill, it is good to practice solving chess puzzles and chess tactics exercises. Playing lot of chess game itself is not enough to improve the game.Few websites give such exercise freely to its members. One good website that I can recommend is gameknot.com for chess puzzles. I can recommend chess.com and chesstempo.com for tactics exercises.

A chess player should learn opening theories which are general guidelines that help you decide the best move. There are already established chess openings which are developed in last few centuries. A chess player may have to memorize the chess openings but there is a lot to learn. For this reason, many chess tutors only introduce a few chess opening to their students and other chess openings are told to be learnt when the student reaches a certain rating. The development of pieces is the main idea in this opening phase. In middle game, a player employs tactics to gain advantage against an opponent in terms of material or in position. In End game, the chess board is left with few piece and usually aim for check mating or promoting a pawn to a Queen.

So far, seven weapons have been discovered in chess. Pin, skewer, fork, discovered attack, deflection, decoy and X-ray attack are the seven weapons that a chess player can make use against the opponent in a chess game. Sometimes, a player has to use combinations of these weapons to gain advantage against an opponent.

The chess game is an interesting game and there are many dedicated players throughout the world. I found that many people have misconceptions about the chess game. One of the misconceptions is that this game is for high IQ people. A chess game can be enjoyed by so called low IQ people too.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Here are some comments for you to consider:

- "The chess game" is not natural. Use "the game of chess" at the start, and subsequently simply say, "chess."
- Please take out unnecessarily complex expressions such as "... syllabus is highly voluminous" to make your essay slimmer and easier to read.
- Get your facts right about the topic. For instance, you say, "The rules in each phase are different." That's incorrect.
- Always put a single space after a full stop.

I look forward to reading the slimmer version of that essay.

rock-onn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Introduction to chess gaming

The game of chess is an old game believed to be originated in India. The Europeans developed the chess into a higher level in last few centuries and a lot of books have been written on this game. Today, the whole globe is playing this game and it has a high reputation in society.

In Indian chess, the queen was originally called Chief Minister or left hand of king and its movement is same but restricted to one square in a turn. Bishop was originally called elephant troops and its movement is same but restricted to maximum of 3 squares in a turn. Rook is originally called Chariot troops, the movement is same but restricted to maximum of 5 squares in one turn and thus it is the fastest piece in the game. In English Chess, there are no restrictions to movement for bishop, rook and queen and looks meaningless for me. The restrictions on king, knight, pawn remains the same in English chess.

Chess is classified as a strategy game in which two players play against each other. Each player is given a turn to make a move of his piece. A player has to identify the best move in his turn so to win the game. The identification of the best move requires a skill that can be developed only by rigorous practice. A player has to consider combination of many factors to determine the best move. Usually, a chess player calculates few moves ahead in his mind. More moves calculated in mind more better chance to find the best move. Generally, a player looks for a forcing move but the forcing move may not be always the best. A forcing move means that the opponent is forced to make a move usually to defend himself, thus it is easier for a player to anticipate the opponent moves.

A game of chess can be divided into 3 phases, opening, middle game, and end game. The principles or theories that are applied in each phase are different and sometimes paradoxical. It is good to start to learn end game first then middle game and then chess opening. In chess, there are some weapons that a player has to be familiar with. Some of the famous weapons are pin, skewer, fork, decoy and deflection.

To improve the gaming skill of chess, it is good to practice solving chess puzzles and chess tactics exercises. Playing lot of chess itself may not be enough to improve the gaming skill. There are few websites that give such exercises freely to its members. One good website that I would recommend is gameknot.com for chess puzzles. I would recommend chess.com and chesstempo.com for tactics exercises. Solving puzzles and tactics exercise would help a player to improve vision, analytical and mind calculation skills which are vital to improve the gaming skill.

Chess is an interesting game and there are many dedicated players throughout the world. Russia is ranked first in chess followed by USA. I found that many people have misconceptions about the chess game. One of the misconceptions is that this game is for high IQ people. Chess can also be enjoyed by so called low IQ people. I would say that playing chess regularly is good for developing IQ but that may be a point for debate.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
An introduction to chess [STRIKE]gaming[/STRIKE]

The game of chess is an old game, believed to [STRIKE]be[/STRIKE] have originated in India. [STRIKE]The[/STRIKE] Europeans developed [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] chess into a [STRIKE]higher level[/STRIKE] more complex game in the last few centuries, and a lot of books have been written [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] about this game. Today, people from all over the world [STRIKE]whole globe is[/STRIKE] play chess, [STRIKE]ing this game[/STRIKE] and [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] the game has a high reputation in many societies.

In Indian chess, the queen was originally called chief minister or the left hand of the king and its movement is the same but restricted to one square in a turn. The bishop was originally called elephant [STRIKE]troops[/STRIKE] and its movement is the same but restricted to a maximum of 3 squares in a turn. The rook [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] was originally called chariot [STRIKE]troops, the[/STRIKE] and its movement is the same but restricted to a maximum of 5 squares in one turn, and thus it is the fastest piece in the game. In English Chess, there are no restrictions to movement for bishop, rook and queen and looks meaningless for me. The restrictions on king, knight, pawn remains the same in English chess.

Chess is classified as a [STRIKE]strategy[/STRIKE] game of strategy in which two players play against each other. Each player is given a turn to make a move of one of his/her pieces. A player has to identify the best move in [STRIKE]his[/STRIKE] each turn so as to win the game. The identification of the best move requires a skill that can be developed only by rigorous practice. A player has to consider a combination of many factors to determine the best move. Usually, a chess player calculates a few moves ahead in [STRIKE]his[/STRIKE] their mind. More moves calculated in mind more better chance to find the best move. Generally, a player looks for a forcing move but the forcing move may not be always the best. A forcing move means that the opponent is forced to make a move usually to defend themselves, [STRIKE]himself,[/STRIKE] and thus it is easier for a player to anticipate the opponent's moves.

A game of chess can be divided into 3 phases - opening, middle game, and end game. The principles or theories that are applied in each phase are different and sometimes paradoxical. It is [STRIKE]good[/STRIKE] better to start [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] learning the end game first, then the middle game and then [STRIKE]chess[/STRIKE] opening. In chess, there are some weapons that a player has to be familiar with. Some of the famous weapons are pin, skewer, fork, decoy and deflection.

To improve [STRIKE]the gaming[/STRIKE] one's skills [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] in chess, it is good to practice solving chess puzzles and do chess tactics exercises. Playing a lot of chess itself may not be enough to improve. [STRIKE]the gaming skill.[/STRIKE] There are a few [few = not many; a few = some] websites that [STRIKE]give[/STRIKE] provide such exercises freely to [STRIKE]its[/STRIKE] their members. One good website that I would recommend for chess puzzles is gameknot.com. [STRIKE]for chess puzzles.[/STRIKE] I would recommend chess.com and chesstempo.com for tactics exercises. Solving puzzles and doing tactics exercise would help a player to improve their [STRIKE]vision,[/STRIKE] analytical and [STRIKE]mind[/STRIKE] calculation skills which are vital in chess. [STRIKE] to improve the gaming skill.[/STRIKE]

Chess is an interesting game, and there are many dedicated players throughout the world. Russia is ranked first in chess followed by the USA. I found that many people have misconceptions about the game of chess. [STRIKE]game.[/STRIKE] One [STRIKE]of the[/STRIKE] such misconception is that [STRIKE]this game[/STRIKE] chess is for people with a high IQ. [STRIKE]people.[/STRIKE] Chess can, in fact, [STRIKE]also[/STRIKE] be enjoyed by anyone. [STRIKE]so called low IQ people.[/STRIKE] I would say that playing chess regularly is good for developing one's mental skills. [STRIKE]IQ but that may be a point for debate.[/STRIKE]

The meaning of the text in blue is unclear.
The text in orange is repetitive and should be omitted.

rock-onn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The king in chess can move one square in any direction. (both in Indian chess and modern chess)
The queen in chess can one square only in Indian chess but in modern chess it has no such restriction so it can move any number of squares. That concept(any number of squares) looks meaningless for me. Similarly, the Bishop and Rook.

When I said movement is same I actually meant direction of movement is same. That omission was my mistake.

I used to call modern chess as English chess. Thanks for correction.

"More moves calculated in mind more better chance to find the best move."

What I meant is :
Some players might calculate 3 moves ahead and others may calculate 4 moves ahead. The player who calculates 4 moves ahead can come with better decision.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.