• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

I used not to feel hungry.

"When I used to go to the office. I used to feel hungry when it wasn't the dinner time and I would stop feeling hungry by the dinner time or when it was time to eat dinner."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: I used not to feel hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    "When I used to go to the office."
    I am pretty sure that by now you know that that is not a complete sentence.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Tufguy, after seeing how frequently you post questions (this OP was at 2:09), I'm going to suggest you post fewer questions, and take the time to more carefully proofread for basic errors you should already know. I think you're unable to digest and internalize feedback when you're so busy posting such a steady stream of questions.

Give yourself time to check your posts against feedback you've previously received. It's frustrating to see such a steady stream of questions when most of them contain feedback on issues we've corrected you on before, such as incomplete sentences, punctuation, and article usage (errors prevalent in the unanswered questions below).

You've been posting at a rate of a question every two minutes! There's no way to effectively digest feedback at that rate. Perhaps that's why you keep making so many basic errors.

I feel like this, too, has perhaps been suggested in the past.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manyquestions.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	2441
    Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!

4. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

"When I used to go to the office I used to feel hungry when it wasn't the dinner time and I would stop feeling hungry by the dinner time or when it was time to eat dinner."

5. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by Skrej View Post
    Tufguy, after seeing how frequently you post questions (this OP was at 2:09), I'm going to suggest you post fewer questions, and take the time to more carefully proofread for basic errors you should already know. I think you're unable to digest and internalize feedback when you're so busy posting such a steady stream of questions.
    Yes, I think you are right but I don't know what to do. I come up with a lot of questions everyday but now I post only four questions per day but I think I will have to reduce it to two. Could you please suggest me a way that can be helpful to me?
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 04-Sep-2016 at 08:08.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

You were told more than once recently that 'every day' in this context has to be written as two words.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Could you please suggest me a way that can be helpful to me?
    1. Ask yourself why you want to submit a particular question. Is it about something you actually want to say in English? If it isn't, forget it. There is little point in finding out how something is correctly said/written if you are never going to say/write it.

2. When you do actually start writing a post, click on the 'Go Advanced' button at the bottom of the post. Then, when you have finished your question, check it carefully, trying to remember the multiple times you have used capital letters and articles incorrectly. Then, when you think you have corrected any errors, click on 'Preview Post' rather than 'Submit Post'. You now have a chance to see your post as it will appear in the forum. Check it again for mistakes.

3. When you receive responses, read them carefully more than once. Try to understand why you have made any of the mistakes that are pointed out to you. If they are mistakes you have made before, start writing a list of them so that you will have a reminder of things to check in future posts.

4. Don't submit a follow-up question or start a new thread until you are as sure as you can be that you have understood completely what your mistakes were, and how you can avoid them in the future.

5. Try to think of this forum as a place to help you improve your ability to write English correctly in the future, not as a place in which you have random sentences corrected.

I'll add a personal note. I have become aware that I have been submitting posts with an embarrassing number of typos recently. Although UE is an important part of my life now that I am retired, I am trying hard to slow myself down. I am submitting fewer responses, and forcing myself to check my posts more carefully, and to use the 'Go Advanced' and 'Preview Post' options with every single post I submit. For me, doing this will, I hope, make my responses more useful - and avoid the wasting of the time of mods who have to correct my many typos. For you, it might make you more aware of how you can help yourself improve - and avoid the wasting of time of those members who see you making the same type of mistake that you have made dozens of times before.

7. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Okay I understand. Could you please check this? I mean I posted this so please check this. "When I used to go to the office. I used to feel hungry when it wasn't the dinner time and I would stop feeling hungry by the dinner time or when it was time to eat dinner."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

When I used to go to the office.
    See below.

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I am pretty sure that by now you know that that is not a complete sentence.
    tufguy, what is your purpose of asking a question here if you pay no attention to the answers?
    I am not a teacher.

9. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wai View Post
    See below.

tufguy, what is your purpose of asking a question here if you pay no attention to the answers?
    Sorry, actually I copied the first one by mistake instead of the second one in which I had done the ammendment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast