[Grammar] After the person he was chasing dissapears, Kevin walks through the notary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikitus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Chile
Hello.

Are the following sentences grammatically correct?

"After the person he was trying to catch dissapears, Kevin walks through the notary. Ahead of him, there is a young man walking."

Thanks.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What do you mean by "notary?"

Nikitus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Chile
Dear SoothingDave: First of all, thanks for your answer.

I mean Public Notary Building, the place were a person can sign important papers related to legalize papers.

Thanks.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"After the person he was trying to catch disappears, Kevin walks through the Notary Building. Ahead of him, there is a young man walking."

Yes, it was grammatical. But you had one spelling error and a usage error.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I knew the term but only became familiar with it when helping a friend with her house in France, because she had to enlist the services of a "notaire" several times. More recently, I had to visit one in the UK to get a contract and copies of passports notarised before they were sent off to the FCO (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) for an "apostille" (another term I've only heard in the last few years).

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They're fairly common in the US, and used for almost any kind of official legal document. I've even had to have some forms on job applications notarized.

Almost anybody can be a licensed notary public, but you have to register with your local state agency. There are some basic eligibility requirements (which vary slightly by state, but usually involve state residency, legal age, clean criminal record, etc.), some filing fees, and some states require you to post a bond. You also have to buy your own embossing seal. The license has to be renewed every few years.

Aside from those state-designated requirements however, it's open to just about anybody, regardless of occupation. Typically legal secretaries are notaries, but also regular business secretaries may be notaries if their company needs such. Our receptionist at the Adult Education center I work for is a notary. Most copy shops or office supply shops will have a notary on staff. There's usually a small fee for having something notarized unless it's company business.

I thought about becoming one myself, until I realized one can't legally notarize one's own documents. I still want to buy an embossing seal someday, even if it doesn't declare me a notary because those things just look classy.

I once realized my driving license had been expired for four months (I somehow completely overlooked renewing it) when a notary asked to see it. She then refused to notarize my document because I didn't have a valid ID, which I found vexing, but she wasn't notarizing anything affirming my identity until I had a current valid photo ID.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In Australia, we call them JPs - Justice of the Peace. I think it's about a six-month part-time course. Most of their work is voluntary, but they can put JP. after their name. Naturally, you have to be a citizen of good standing and all the rest too. Most of them have other primary jobs or are retired.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
but she wasn't notarizing anything affirming my identity until I had a current valid photo ID.

That is the primary purpose of a notary, to affirm in an official way that someone who is signing something is the actual person. This requires a valid ID.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A notary is an extremely minor licensed official in most (or possibly all) US states. The title is quite different in countries whose legal systems descend from the Napoleonic code, where it refers to a lawyer specialized in real estate contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.