• Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

• Post Thanks / Like

Question Synonyms for the word "hobby"

Hi there,

In the free dictionary by Farlex, the following definitions have been given for the word "hobby" and "pastime":

pastime

noun activity, game, sport, entertainment, leisure, hobby, relaxation, recreation, distraction, amusement, diversion His favourite pastime is golf.

hobby

noun pastime, relaxation, leisure pursuit, sideline, diversion, avocation, favourite occupation, (leisure) activity My hobbies are letter-writing, football, music, photography, and tennis.

As you see, one of the synonyms for the word "hobby" is pastime, but not entertainment.
    However, the word "pastime" is synonymous with both "entertainment" and "hobby". Thus, I wonder if we can consider "hobby", "pastime", and "entertainment" all as synonyms.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Synonyms for the word "hobby"

No, you can't use synonyms that way. The only one I'd use for 'hobby' in the sense of "What is your favourite hobby?" in casual conversation is 'pastime'.
    The use of synonyms is dependent on the context.
    If you asked, "What is your favourite distraction/amusement?" it would not sound natural.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

• Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Synonyms for the word "hobby"

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    No, you can't use synonyms that way. The only one I'd use for 'hobby' in the sense of "What is your favourite hobby?" in casual conversation is 'pastime'.
    The use of synonyms is dependent on the context.
    If you asked, "What is your favourite distraction/amusement?" it would not sound natural.
    I see. So do you mean that these three words has been considered as synonyms in this dictionary by mistake?
    By the way, you've mentioned that "The use of synonyms is dependent on the context". Are there any contexts in which we can consider "hobby", "entertainmnt" and "pastime" all as synonyms?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

• Post Thanks / Like

Dictionaries often list related words as synonyms, but that doesn't mean they are identical and can automatically be used in all contexts the same ways. It also doesn't mean that they are utterly wrong. Think of these synonyms as words from the same area more than replacements. Meaning is not an exact science, and synonyms less so.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Venus.jam View Post
    I see. So do you mean that these three words has have been considered as synonyms in this dictionary by mistake?
    No. Lists of synonyms are usually lists of words that have similar meanings, and whose individual range of meanings may overlap exactly occasionally. English has very few exact synonyms that are interchangeable in all contexts.
    Are there any contexts in which we can consider "hobby", "entertainmnt" and "pastime" all as synonyms?
    I doubt if there any contexts in which they are completely interchangeable with exactly the same meaning.

(Cross-posted with Tdol)