Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Can I use the words "DELIGHTED", "ECSTATIC" and "CHEERFUL" as synonyms with HAPPY?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, they are synonyms "for" "happy".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One, they are still synonyms. Two, in the thread title it's "very happy" which should make you happy. (The "very" was unaccountably left out of the OP.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can I use the words "DELIGHTED delighted", "ECSTATIC ecstatic" and "CHEERFUL cheerful" as synonyms with for "HAPPY happy"?
There is no need to use upper case (capital letters) when writing normal words. It's the online equivalent of shouting. Note that I also changed the capital letters in your title to lower case.

You can ask if a particular word is a synonym for another word, or if it's synonymous with that other word, but we don't use "synonym with".

In your title, you asked about synonyms for "very happy" but in your post you asked only about "happy". You need to be very clear about what you're asking us. "Delighted" and "ecstatic" would work instead of "very happy" but not just instead of "happy". "Cheerful" doesn't really work for either. For me, it's slightly less than "happy".

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
To the OP:
Please give us sentences to consider. Your question is too broad. For example:
The song delighted the crowd. [ none of the other words you suggested can work here instead of "delighted"].
I wish you a happy birthday. [ none of the other words you suggested can work here instead of "happy"].
Do you see what I mean?

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
There is no need to use upper case (capital letters) when writing normal words. It's the online equivalent of shouting. Note that I also changed the capital letters in your title to lower case.
Thanks. I will take that into consideration in my next posts.
You can ask if a particular word is a synonym for another word, or if it's synonymous with that other word, but we don't use "synonym with".
Ok, thanks for the explanation.
In your title, you asked about synonyms for "very happy" but in your post you asked only about "happy". You need to be very clear about what you're asking us. "Delighted" and "ecstatic" would work instead of "very happy" but not just instead of "happy". "Cheerful" doesn't really work for either. For me, it's slightly less than "happy".

Sorry about the miscommunication. Actually, I´m looking for words that convey a superlative meaning and could work as a substitute in intensity to "very happy". I believe "ecstatic" and "delighted", as you pointed out, fit that description. But I was not so sure about "cheerful", that´s why I decided to post a question here.

"Cheerful" doesn't really work for either. For me, it's slightly less than "happy".

Maybe I should use "excited" or "thrilled" instead. What do you think?

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
To the OP:
Please give us sentences to consider. Your question is too broad. For example:
The song delighted the crowd. [ none of the other words you suggested can work here instead of "delighted"].
I wish you a happy birthday. [ none of the other words you suggested can work here instead of "happy"].
Do you see what I mean?
Thanks for your reply.
Sorry that I did not include a sentence to exemplify the use of the words, but I´m not really looking for words that can work
as perfect replacements. Instead, I´m interested in words that have similar intensities. For example: I understand that "ecstatic" has a superlative
meaning compared to "happy". It´s a strong word. So, what other words would belong in this group, regardless of the context/grammar? Do the words that I mentioned belong in the same group?

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Ever heard of 'chuffed to bits'? ;)

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Neither of those is a synonym for very happy.
Thanks for your reply. It´s important to say that English is a foreign language in my country. Students who are in lower levels (A1/A2) tend to
use simple vocabulary ("happy", "big", etc). As they begin to move to upper levels, it´s important to discourage them to use simple vocabulary
also because in most cases, it does not really express the idea that they really need to convey, that the context demands. So, when I say "excited" or "thrilled" can be used as substitutes for "very happy", I am talking to those A1/A2 students. I´m not actually saying that "excited" or "thrilled" are perfect replacements for "very happy" I just want to broaden my students´ vocabulary and give them more accurate options that can choose from.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think it's helpful to say that something can be substituted for something else without explaining that it will change the meaning of the sentence. Certainly, telling them they can use "excited" or "thrilled" instead of "very happy" is doing them a disservice.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I don't think it's helpful to say that something can be substituted for something else without explaining that it will change the meaning of the sentence. Certainly, telling them they can use "excited" or "thrilled" instead of "very happy" is doing them a disservice.
I understand your point. My purpose is to teach them the new vocabulary and explain the differences in context/usage so that they have the tools to choose the most appropriate words/expressions in a given context.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It´s important to say that English is a foreign language in my country.
We know that. Your profile clearly shows that you're from Brazil!
Students who are in lower levels (A1/A2) tend to use simple vocabulary ("happy", "big", etc). As they begin to move to upper higher levels, it´s important to discourage them to use from using simple vocabulary.
Remember that is "encourage to" but "discourage from".
Also, because in most cases, it does not really express the idea that they really need to convey no comma here or that the context demands. So, when I say "excited" or "thrilled" can be used as substitutes for "very happy", I am talking to those A1/A2 students. I´m not actually saying that "excited" or "thrilled" are perfect replacements for "very happy"; I just want to broaden my students´ vocabulary and give them more accurate options that can choose from.
You're not giving them "more accurate options". You're giving them new vocabulary that changes the meaning of their sentences.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Please take the word "substitute" with a pinch of salt, if I can say so.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil

You're not giving them "more accurate options". You're giving them new vocabulary that changes the meaning of their sentences.
Yes, I´m giving them new vocabulary. I´m telling them: "Ok, enough with using "happy" and "very happy" all the time. It´s time for a new vocabulary." I´m not just saying that "ecstatic" can replace "very happy" in all contexts and sentences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you trying to teach them English without using any Portuguese in your classes? If not, surely it would be more helpful to just translate for them,. If they're aware that "em êxtase" (ecstatic) doesn't mean the same as "muito feliz" (very happy), then they'll understand why they can't just swap one word for another.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
ok.

Thanks for the reminder.
Yes, precisely, but I´m also teaching them new contexts so that they can make more accurate decisions when they need a word/phrase.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think you mean they can enrich their vocabulary by adding words to it.

www.dictionary.com

Dictionary.com has a thesaurus feature.