How to ask a salesperson to show a suit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tulipflower

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Which option do you think is the most appropriate? Is there any better way of making request in such a situation?

You are now shopping in a department store. You see a beautiful suit and want to see it. You ask the salesperson to show you the suit.

1. Oh, sorry, could you pass that suit to me to have a look? I want to buy it.
  2. Lady, I’d like to have a look at that suit. Would you please do me a favor?
  3. Excuse me. Could you show me this suit please?

Last edited:
Number 3 is fine.

Another alternative to #3 is "Could I see/look at that suit, please?"

About the first option, can we say 'oh sorry' is used when something happens by accident?

'Sorry' is mostly used for apologies or to express sympathy. Depending on context, it could be used when something has happened by accident.

'Sorry' is mostly used for apologies or to express sympathy. Depending on context, it could be used when something has happened by accident.

That's correct for American English. In British English, sorry carries any one of a multitude of meanings.

It has been pointed out to you before that we do not start questions with "How to ...". You can start with "How can I", "How should I", "How do we" and a few others but not "How to". Please remember that for any more posts you make with a title or a question starting like that.

In the first option, Is 'oh sorry' relevant in making requests?

Not in BrE- sorry can be used as a way of attraction someone's attention.

In option 2, I think 'I'd like to have a look at that suit' is as the request. Then, what's the use of 'Would you please do me a favor' here?

'Would you please do me a favor?' has no place in this context. It's the sales assistant's job to sell you the suit.

We ask somebody to do us a favour (BE spelling) when we want them to go out of their way or put themselves to some trouble or expense to help us out of a tricky situation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back