Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
1 Dogs have tails.
2 A dog has a tail.
3 Dogs have a tail.

[Question 1] Which is the most common?

[Question 2] Do you think that there exist any native English speakers who hate sentence 1 because it sounds to them like "A dog has more than one tail"?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Number 1 is common and natural. The same construction is illogical in French and most likely some other languages, but it's fine in English.

There's a linguistic term that distinguishes languages that require plurals from those that take the singular in phrases like number 1. Unfortunately I can't remember it and haven't been able to find it.

Last edited:

YAMATO2201

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
There's a linguistic
Thank you so much.
Does sentence 2 sound weird to you?

------------------------------------------
linguistic --> a type of linguistics?

Last edited:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[Question 2] Do you think that there exist any native English speakers who hate sentence 1 because it sounds to them like "A dog has more than one tail"?

No native speaker would ever interpret the sentence this way. You'd have to say something like "Dogs have many/several tails" to possibly get that interpretation, if they didn't just consider it as unclear or bad writing.

Anybody who knows the least thing about dogs (or even animals in general) is going to subconsciously rule out the possibility of multiple tails per animal. Perhaps if they happened to pick up on the potential humor, they might then notice it could be interpreted that way.

Even then, I think my first reaction upon reading my example would be to consider it some kind of pun on the word 'tales'.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That reminds me of the saying 'He's happier than a dog with two tails' (dogs wag their tails when they're happy, so he's twice as happy).

(Don't bother correcting me if I've got that quote a bit wrong.)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Do you think many native speakers believe sentence #3 would be the natural sentence to use if you saw five dogs sharing a tail? I guess the number would be the same for both questions. We know that dogs have one tail and that they don't share them. The singular and plural issues here follow the logic of our eyes. If we saw something that broke the rule, we would make it a lot clearer- I saw a dog with two tails yesterday.

YAMATO2201

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Do you think many native speakers believe sentence #3 would be the natural sentence to use if you saw five dogs sharing a tail?
No, I don't.
---------------------
About 'Question 2'.
A certain Japanese teacher of English says in his book that some native English speakers avoid sentence #1 because it sounds to them like "A dog has more than one tail". I wanted to know whether or not such explanation was correct.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is purely conjecture on my part, but perhaps a native Japanese speaker familiar with Japanese mythology of the multi-tailed kitsune would be more inclined to believe this a possible native English speaker interpretation.

If you were used to reading about creatures with multiple tails, then perhaps that would influence your thinking on possible interpretations of the English version.

I freely admit it's not very likely, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

YAMATO2201

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I freely admit it's not very likely, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
I believe most Japanese learners of English have trouble understanding things pertaining to the singularity or plurality of English noun. I think there are at least two reasons for that:

(1) Japanese nouns have no inflected forms. (I do not refer to the exceptions here.) For instance, both of "book" and "books" correspond to the same Japanese word hon. Hon might be translated several ways in English when it is used in contexts:

hon = a book/the book/some books/the books/his book/his books/books in general/etc.
(Please note that the Japanese language does not have any equivalent of "a", "an", or "the".)

(2) Japanese teachers of English tend to steer clear of tricky matters concerning the singularity or plurality of English noun. The same thing holds true for Japanese authors/producers/developers of English teaching materials, I might add.

---------------------------------------

The Japanese language is in stark contrast to the English language in many ways. To me, English is a million miles away from Japanese. Thus, there are a fair number of situations in which what a native English speaker thinks is obvious is in no way obvious to Japanese learners of English. To me, it seems as if most Japanese learners of English were doomed to have excruciating experiences in the process of learning English as long as they were serious learners. In that sense, your answers/comments are immensely helpful to me.

Thanks, Skrej.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
No, I don't.
---------------------
About 'Question 2'.
A certain Japanese teacher of English says in his book that some native English speakers avoid sentence #1 because it sounds to them like "A dog has more than one tail". I wanted to know whether or not such explanation was correct.

Well then, as has been clearly explained above, that teacher is just plain wrong.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
No, I don't.
---------------------
About 'Question 2'.

We can tolerate a fair amount of theoretical ambiguity when the context makes things clear, and that is not a natural interpretation, so I see no reason to avoid it. If the ambiguity is genuine, then we try to make things clearer, but two-tailed dogs are not something that worries me. Some vets may have come across such cases, but I never have.

Status
Not open for further replies.