After going further into the forest, we saw some more/other wild dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehammer

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello, Is there any difference between 'more' and 'other' in the following contexts. In the dictionary, I have found that both these words' synonyms are the same in some cases, which is 'additional'.

1- Almost a year ago, I and 11 friends of mine planned a 5 day trip into an abandoned small forest situated near Purulia district of Bengal. To our knowledge, there were no animals that could harm full grown humans. After two hours of walking in the forest we saw two wild dogs. We thought they were just two. As they did not harm us or/and there are no sign of agression from them, we went deeper. After going further into the forest, we saw some more/other wild dogs. They seemed dangerous. We didn't risk our lives. We decided to came back to a safe place, which was of course out of the forest.

2- When I first went to college, I was very nervous. I had no friends. As two days passed, I talked well to two people. And a few days later I met some more/other people and became their friends.

This is not for proofreading. Besides my main question, I want to know whether I can use 'or' there.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In those two specific sentences, both "more" and "other" work.
You can't use "or" where you're trying to (I've put "or/and" in bold in post #1 for you because it was hard to see where you were talking about without it).
This is not for proofreading.
Please don't make statements like that. We correct all the errors we find. You might not appreciate it but our corrections can be very helpful to other learners who read the thread. I can assure you that, when I get time, I'll be posting a corrected version of your text.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say: "As they did not harm us and there were no signs of aggression ...."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello. Is there any difference between 'more' and 'other' in the following contexts? In the dictionary, I have found that both these words' synonyms are the same in some cases, which is 'additional'.

1- Almost a year ago, I and 11 eleven friends of mine and I planned took a 5 five-day trip into an abandoned uninhabited small forest situated near the Purulia district of Bengal. To our knowledge, there were no animals that could harm full-grown humans. After two hours of walking in the forest, we saw two wild dogs. We thought they there were just two. As they did not harm us or/ and there are were no signs of aggression from them, we went deeper. After going further into the forest, we saw some more/other wild dogs. They seemed dangerous. We didn't risk our lives. We decided to came go back to a safe place, which was of course out of the forest.

2- When I first went to college, I was very nervous. I had no friends. As After two days, passed, I talked well to two [nice/friendly] people no full stop here and a few days later I met some more/other people and we became their friends.

This is not for proofreading. Besides In addition to my main question, I want to know whether I can use 'or' there.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Is there any difference between 'more' and 'other' in the following contexts?.
Some more people = People in addition to the ones mentioned earlier.
Other people = Different people.

I prefer "some more" to "other" in both places in your text because I think it suits what you mean to say better.

an abandoned small forest
In addition to using "uninhabited" as emsr2d2 says, you need to change the adjectives round.
... a small uninhabited forest ...

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think you need either adjective before "forest".

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I agree you don't always need "uninhabited". There aren't many forests with people, only some. But "small" is fine, don't you think?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word "abandoned" is used to mean there used to be people at that place, but they left. The word "uninhabited" simply means there there are no people living there.

You will sometimes see a phrase such as "inhabited only by penguins", meaning, of course, there are no people there, but penguins like it fine. It seems that it is most often applied to islands.

You don't normally expect to see anybody living in a forest -- not year-round anyway.

An abandoned cabin is one that people used to live in.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree you don't always need "uninhabited". There aren't many forests with people, only some. But "small" is fine, don't you think?
You can call it a "small forest" if you like, but that doesn't give you much of an idea of how big it is (which is generally the idea). I think that in this case the person just wanted to use an adjective.

If somebody mentions a small dog you have a pretty good idea what they are talking about. But how big is a small forest?

When people describe the sizes of forests they usually use terms such as "extensive" or "heavily forested area". (Much of the American northwest is heavily forested.)

What about small forests? I would just say I went for a walk in the woods.
😊

Status
Not open for further replies.