Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
It is true that the topic sentence should always be the first or the second sentence of a paragraph. However, when reading some ielts reading tests' paragraphs, im really confused since i can't find any general topics in the first or the second sentences. So can the topic be located anywhere other than the 1st and the 2nd sentence ? Thank you for your answer.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
As I understand it, [STRIKE]It is true that[/STRIKE] the topic sentence should always be the first or the second sentence of a paragraph. However, when reading some IELTS [STRIKE]ielts[/STRIKE] reading tests' paragraphs, [STRIKE]im[/STRIKE] I'm really confused since I can't find any general topics in the first or the second sentences. So can the topic be located anywhere other than the 1st [STRIKE]and the[/STRIKE] or 2nd sentences? Thank you for your answer.
Generally speaking, you should be able to work out the theme of paragraph in the first or second sentence. However, that's not always the case. Can you show us some examples of the paragraphs you're having difficulties with?

Status
Not open for further replies.