Which words did the speaker say in this video?

Status
Not open for further replies.

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
In a video on Youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N9m0wZ14GQ at 9:39, the speaker said the following line:
There's one view, for example, of the South China Sea that one reason why China is very resistant to international disputes settlement in the South China Sea is that it would prefer to resolve these things bilaterally, with a _____ quite different.

However, there's one phrase corresponding to the blank above that I can't make out. Could anyone help me please?
Thank you very much.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"... with a power dynamic that's quite different."

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In a video on Youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N9m0wZ14GQ at 9:39, the speaker said the following line:
There's one view, for example, of the South China Sea that one reason why China is very resistant to international dispute settlement in the South China Sea is that it would prefer to resolve these things bilaterally, where the power dynamic is quite different.

However, there's one phrase corresponding to the blank above that I can't make out. Could anyone help me please?
Thank you very much.

You're welcome!

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
I'd go with Charlie Bernstein's on this one.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's definitely "with a power dynamic that's", which also makes more sense than Charlie's suggestion.

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
That was my initial thought. But when I try and use some technique -- that is, slowing down the sound -- I cannot hear 'that' at all.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's definitely "with a power dynamic that's", which also makes more sense than Charlie's suggestion.

They both make sense and mean the same thing. He's using the word "where" in the sense of "in which."

So for Khanhhung's purposes, it doesn't matter.

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
There's one view, for example, of the South China Sea that one reason why China is very resistant to international dispute settlement in the South China Sea is that it would prefer to resolve these things bilaterally, where the power dynamic is quite different.

Wouldn't "dispute settlements" be more grammatical, although I'm pretty sure he said "settlement"?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
He did say settlement, meaning the general process rather than individual cases.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Wouldn't "dispute settlements" be more grammatical, although I'm pretty sure he said "settlement"?

I would use "settlement." He's not talking about specific settlements. He's talking in general terms, so the singular form is called for.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In this context, "international dispute settlement" is a shorter way to say "the settlement of international disputes".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hey! Good point! Much better answer, GS.

Status
Not open for further replies.